Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Mikael Carneholm"

>> Too bad - I think that will keep a lot of potential users from
>> evaluating Pg as a serious alternative. Good or bad, decide for
>> yourself :)

>Why on earth should that be?

Citing Baldur Norddahl (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-01/msg00597.php):

"I will also point out that none of the replication solutions have the same solid reputation as postgresql. As long the
postgresqlteam will not endorse a replication solution, you can not expect people to put the same trust in these
solutionsas we put into postgresql itself."

/Mikael

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
Sigh.  This old chestnut.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 03:15:06PM +0100, Mikael Carneholm wrote:

> Citing Baldur Norddahl
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-01/msg00597.php):
>
> "I will also point out that none of the replication solutions have
> the same solid reputation as postgresql. As long the postgresql
> team will not endorse a replication solution, you can not expect
> people to put the same trust in these solutions as we put into
> postgresql itself."

1.    Define "postgresql team".  What, CORE members?  Like Jan,
perhaps?  Or maybe you mean active developers?  Like the ones doing
the coding on the project?

2.    Define "endorse".  Does that mean "in the backend"?  So
everyone has to pay the performance penalty even though they won't
all use it?  Even though no other database system makes you make that
compromise?

3.    Define "solid reputation".  Does this mean "has been around
10 years?" I gots news for you: until the pg_timemachine module is
ready, we're not going to be able to add things retrospectively to
the history of Postgresql.  And does this mean that WAL isn't solid,
because it's not 10 years old?  Hmm.  What about PITR?

4.    Define "trust".  You mean that people are just picking up
Postgres and using it because it has a good reputation, and doing no
testing?  Well, I wish them lots of luck, whatever system they use.

If you think there is something wrong with some bit of code, in Slony
or any other project, it would be _really nice_ to see a proposal to
fix it, rather than claim that there's some magic "in the core" bit
that is somehow the thing which makes code reliable.  Or, if you
think that there is some all-others-killing set of packages that
needs to be put together as a world-domination solution, please start
a project on pgfoundry to build the integrated distribution.  That's
what free software is for.

If the complaint is instead, "Company O and Company I have big giant
marketing departments that turn 85 modules into 85*85 different
products!  How come we don't?" then I suggest you have failed to
grasp exactly where the strengths of community based development lie.

(I'm also more than a little impatient with people who moan about how
this or that replication system isn't a substitute for Oracle's RAC
orgrid computing or whatever.  I guess we oughta get to work, eh?  A
Mere Matter of Programming, that one.  But I think I've ranted
enough.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
When my information changes, I alter my conclusions.  What do you do sir?
        --attr. John Maynard Keynes

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 03:15:06PM +0100, Mikael Carneholm wrote:

> >> Too bad - I think that will keep a lot of potential users from
> >> evaluating Pg as a serious alternative. Good or bad, decide for
> >> yourself :)
>
> >Why on earth should that be?
>
> Citing Baldur Norddahl (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-01/msg00597.php):
>
> "I will also point out that none of the replication solutions have the same solid reputation as postgresql. As long
thepostgresql team will not endorse a replication solution, you can not expect people to put the same trust in these
solutionsas we put into postgresql itself."

I'm not really sure what you're looking for here. None of the
replication solutions have the same reputation as PostgreSQL itself
because they're both newer than PostgreSQL itself and used by a much
smaller number of people.

If you want to increase the reputation of a replication solution, it's
going to take something other than trying to get core to put out some
kind of endorsement. Case studies of real-world users is something that
would help. Showing what kind of test coverage there is wouldn't hurt.
Performance tests would be good.

In other words, if promoting replication is important to you, there's
plenty of things you can do that will help on that front. But as others
have said, the various replication solutions are going to have to stand
(or fall) on their own merits.

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:39:06PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> Easy everyone. Let's not bite the newcomers too hard here.
>
> > 2.      Define "endorse".  Does that mean "in the backend"?  So
> > everyone has to pay the performance penalty even though they won't
> > all use it?  Even though no other database system makes you make that
> > compromise?
>
> I would presume that at least packaged with PG (in the contrib section)
> would be a good start. A prominent, east to find link to Slony on
> the website would help too.

Why just Slony? There's at least 2 other free replication solutions I
can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

And there was rather extensive discussion about contrib on -hackers
about 6 months ago. IIRC the decision was that the only reason to put
something in contrib was if it was either dependant on specific backend
code or if it was targeted for inclusion into the backend.

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:39:06PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>>

>> Easy everyone. Let's not bite the newcomers too hard here.
>>
>>> 2.      Define "endorse".  Does that mean "in the backend"?  So
>>> everyone has to pay the performance penalty even though they won't
>>> all use it?  Even though no other database system makes you make that
>>> compromise?
>> I would presume that at least packaged with PG (in the contrib section)
>> would be a good start. A prominent, east to find link to Slony on
>> the website would help too.
>
> Why just Slony? There's at least 2 other free replication solutions I
> can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm missing some.

Slony is the only free OSS postgreSQL replication solution that I would
ever suggest to someone.

However if the project is going to start suggesting replication
solutions it should suggest all of them.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 10:39:06PM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> I would presume that at least packaged with PG (in the contrib section)
> would be a good start. A prominent, east to find link to Slony on

But in Slony's case, that'd be a regression, not an improvement.  It
is designed, on purpose, as a bolt-on.  That's a feature, not a bug.
It allows you to do version upgrades with just a few minutes'
switchover time, to begin with, which is something that we don't
otherwise have.

If we want to fix the "in the tarball, or it's not real", we need to
continue to make packages easy to install.  Nobody thinks that the
DBI is some sort of stupid tacky not-ready tool just because every
installation of Perl doesn't have it automatically.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
A certain description of men are for getting out of debt, yet are
against all taxes for raising money to pay it off.
        --Alexander Hamilton

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
Brendan Duddridge
Date:
On Jan 13, 2006, at 4:00 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Why just Slony? There's at least 2 other free replication solutions I
>> can think of off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'm missing some.
>
> Slony is the only free OSS postgreSQL replication solution that I
> would ever suggest to someone.
>
> However if the project is going to start suggesting replication
> solutions it should suggest all of them.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Why would you only recommend Slony? How does it compare to Sequoia or
p/cluster? I have to admit that reading about Slony II sounded very
good, but it's apparently far off from reality. What's the best
solution that would work on OS X Server?

Brendan Duddridge | CTO | 403-277-5591 x24 |  brendan@clickspace.com

ClickSpace Interactive Inc.
Suite L100, 239 - 10th Ave. SE
Calgary, AB  T2G 0V9

http://www.clickspace.com

Attachment

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Joshua D. Drake
>

> Why would you only recommend Slony? How does it compare to Sequoia or
> p/cluster?

Well p/cluster is not OSS. Sequioa is but is query based and doesn't
correctly deal with things like now().

I was speaking directly about OSS replication.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> I just did a test to see what comes up when I typed
> "replication" in the search box at postgresql.org. Got a 503
> error. We really need to work on that. Bad enough we don't
> use Postgres to do the searching.

Yes we do. We certainly don't back aspseek with mysql... (No, we don't
use the standard version, the one we use is fairly extensively modified)

Oh, and I beleive the 503 error is solved. And yes, that definitly
could've been handled better.

//Magnus

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Mikael Carneholm"
Date:
> Sure, but it still means installing an external tool, which requires
> PHP, which isn't trivial to install in it's own right. And afaik there's
> still no way to find out how much IO each query did, how much CPU was
> spent, if any sorts overflowed, etc., etc.

Exactly my point, and thus the reason why I'd like to see such functionality implemented. Since I haven't hacked Pg one
singlebit (apart from increasing the max identifier name length way back by changing some #define, iirc), I don't
reallythink I'm the right person to do it. :)

/Mikael

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 09:21:55AM +0100, H.J. Sanders wrote:
> Thanks for you answer. I've looked for the stats but I could not find
> it in our 7.4 , but I will look further (perhaps SUSE didn't
> install them).

How did you look?  You shouldn't have to install anything extra;
statistics collection is built-in to the backend.  It's generally
not enabled by default, however, so you might have to modify your
server configuration (postgresql.conf).  See "Statistics Collection
Configuration" in the documentation:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/monitoring-stats.html

--
Michael Fuhr

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 05:30:49PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >Why would you only recommend Slony? How does it compare to Sequoia or
> >p/cluster?
>
> Well p/cluster is not OSS. Sequioa is but is query based and doesn't
> correctly deal with things like now().
>
> I was speaking directly about OSS replication.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK Slony is the only OSS replication
that isn't statement based, which as Josh mentioned has some serious
ramifications.

Re: Plans for 8.2?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>> Well p/cluster is not OSS. Sequioa is but is query based and doesn't
>> correctly deal with things like now().
>>
>> I was speaking directly about OSS replication.
>>

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK Slony is the only OSS replication
> that isn't statement based, which as Josh mentioned has some serious
> ramifications.

Yes that is correct to my knowledge.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake