Login username char length

From
markc@renta.net
Date:
Please excuse my naivety as I have never used postgresql. Could
anyone please let me know if there is any char length limit for the
username that logs into the database itself ?

--markc

Re: Login username char length

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
markc@renta.net schrieb:
> Please excuse my naivety as I have never used postgresql. Could
> anyone please let me know if there is any char length limit for the
> username that logs into the database itself ?

experiment=# \d pg_user
     View "pg_catalog.pg_user"
   Column    |  Type   | Modifiers
-------------+---------+-----------
 usename     | name    |
 usesysid    | integer |
 usecreatedb | boolean |
 usesuper    | boolean |
 usecatupd   | boolean |
 passwd      | text    |
 valuntil    | abstime |
 useconfig   | text[]  |
View definition:
 SELECT pg_shadow.usename, pg_shadow.usesysid, pg_shadow.usecreatedb,
pg_shadow.usesuper, pg_shadow.usecatupd, '********'::text AS passwd,
pg_shadow.valuntil, pg_shadow.useconfig
   FROM pg_shadow;

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/datatype-character.html

"name    64 bytes    internal type for object names"

Does this answer your question?

Regards
Tino Wildenhain

Re: Login username char length

From
Mark Constable
Date:
On Saturday 24 December 2005 23:13, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > Please excuse my naivety as I have never used postgresql. Could
> > anyone please let me know if there is any char length limit for the
> > username that logs into the database itself ?
> "name    64 bytes    internal type for object names"
> Does this answer your question?

Almost entirely, yes, thank you very much.

However, is it possible that any clients such as the shell interface or
the module for PHP would enforce some stupid, for example, 16 or
32 char limit even though the server handles up to 64 chars ?

For years I have been using a transformed users email address into
a mysql username by simply extending the mysql.users.User field
manually to 64 chars. Now with mysql5 they have enforced a stupid
16 char limit in the *clients* (in libmysqlclient I guess). I either down
grade back to mysql4.1 or... upgrade to postgresql :)

But obviously there is no point in the lost time for the conversion to
postgresql if ultimately postgresql has a similar limitation.

--markc

Re: Login username char length

From
Carlos Moreno
Date:
Mark Constable wrote:

> But obviously there is no point in the lost time for the conversion to
>
>postgresql if ultimately postgresql has a similar limitation.

Ultimately, PostgreSQL has sooo many non-limitations with respect to
MySQL that you would never find that it was "lost time" -- I don't even
know where to begin;  MySQL being such a crappy toy and enjoying
such a comfortable margin of popularity in the OS world, it makes me
so angry and frustrated...

My personal advice is:  UPgrade and never look back;  you'll never
regret it!

Carlos