Re: Login username char length - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Constable
Subject Re: Login username char length
Date
List pgsql-general
On Saturday 24 December 2005 23:13, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> > Please excuse my naivety as I have never used postgresql. Could
> > anyone please let me know if there is any char length limit for the
> > username that logs into the database itself ?
> "name    64 bytes    internal type for object names"
> Does this answer your question?

Almost entirely, yes, thank you very much.

However, is it possible that any clients such as the shell interface or
the module for PHP would enforce some stupid, for example, 16 or
32 char limit even though the server handles up to 64 chars ?

For years I have been using a transformed users email address into
a mysql username by simply extending the mysql.users.User field
manually to 64 chars. Now with mysql5 they have enforced a stupid
16 char limit in the *clients* (in libmysqlclient I guess). I either down
grade back to mysql4.1 or... upgrade to postgresql :)

But obviously there is no point in the lost time for the conversion to
postgresql if ultimately postgresql has a similar limitation.

--markc