fatal error in pg.log

From
"Medora Schauer"

We are using ver 7.3.4 (old I know but we can’t upgrade until early next year) on a linux 2.4 system and are having some flaky problems with our apps.  They just die at apparently random times.  In trying to figure out what is going on I noticed a couple of messages in pg.log that concern me:

FATAL:  unsupported frontend protocol

WARNING:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:

        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend

        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

        I have rolled back the current transaction and am

        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.

        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

Can anyone tell me what these mean?

Medora Schauer

Fairfield Industries Inc.

Re: fatal error in pg.log

Date:
"Medora Schauer" <mschauer@fairfield.com> writes:
> We are using ver 7.3.4 (old I know but we can't upgrade until early next
> year) on a linux 2.4 system and are having some flaky problems with our
> apps.  They just die at apparently random times.  In trying to figure
> out what is going on I noticed a couple of messages in pg.log that
> concern me:

> FATAL:  unsupported frontend protocol

This suggests that you have some 7.4-or-later clients out there.  They
will try to connect using the 7.4 protocol, fail as above, and fall back
to the older protocol.  Nothing to worry about.

> WARNING:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
>         The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
>         died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

This is bad, but it's unrelated to the other message, and you didn't
show us the message that it *is* related to.

            regards, tom lane

Re: fatal error in pg.log

From
"Medora Schauer"
Date:
I looked in the log again and sure enough I missed this immediately
before the WARNINGS:

PANIC:  link from /data/database/pg_xlog/00000001000000D9 to
/data/database/pg_xlog/00000001000000E1 (initialization of log file 1,
segment 225) failed: No such file or directory
LOG:  server process (pid 5748) was terminated by signal 6
LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

Looks like a file system problem right?

Medora

> > WARNING:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:
> >         The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend
> >         died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>
> This is bad, but it's unrelated to the other message, and you didn't
> show us the message that it *is* related to.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: fatal error in pg.log

Date:
"Medora Schauer" <mschauer@fairfield.com> writes:
> I looked in the log again and sure enough I missed this immediately
> before the WARNINGS:

> PANIC:  link from /data/database/pg_xlog/00000001000000D9 to
> /data/database/pg_xlog/00000001000000E1 (initialization of log file 1,
> segment 225) failed: No such file or directory

> Looks like a file system problem right?

Definitely seems like a can't-happen case.  What file system are you
running Postgres on?

            regards, tom lane

Re: fatal error in pg.log

From
"Medora Schauer"

> "Medora Schauer" <mschauer@fairfield.com> writes:
> > I looked in the log again and sure enough I missed this immediately
> > before the WARNINGS:
>
> > PANIC:  link from /data/database/pg_xlog/00000001000000D9 to
> > /data/database/pg_xlog/00000001000000E1 (initialization of log file
1,
> > segment 225) failed: No such file or directory
>
> > Looks like a file system problem right?
>
> Definitely seems like a can't-happen case.  What file system are you
> running Postgres on?

I found this in /var/log/messages:

Dec  1 09:23:40 Qc kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed
(gfp=0x1d2/0)
Dec  1 09:23:40 Qc kernel: VM: killing process postmaster

Is this because we are running out of memory?

Our file system is ext3.

Medora

Re: fatal error in pg.log

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 11:18:14AM -0600, Medora Schauer wrote:
> I found this in /var/log/messages:
>
> Dec  1 09:23:40 Qc kernel: __alloc_pages: 0-order allocation failed
> (gfp=0x1d2/0)
> Dec  1 09:23:40 Qc kernel: VM: killing process postmaster
>
> Is this because we are running out of memory?
>
> Our file system is ext3.

Umm, yeah. Looks like you totally ran out of free memory. Do you have
sufficient swap setup?

Have a nice day,