fatal error in pg.log - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Medora Schauer
Subject fatal error in pg.log
Date
List pgsql-general

We are using ver 7.3.4 (old I know but we can’t upgrade until early next year) on a linux 2.4 system and are having some flaky problems with our apps.  They just die at apparently random times.  In trying to figure out what is going on I noticed a couple of messages in pg.log that concern me:

FATAL:  unsupported frontend protocol

WARNING:  Message from PostgreSQL backend:

        The Postmaster has informed me that some other backend

        died abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

        I have rolled back the current transaction and am

        going to terminate your database system connection and exit.

        Please reconnect to the database system and repeat your query.

Can anyone tell me what these mean?

Medora Schauer

Fairfield Industries Inc.