Adding contrib modules

From
"Jonathan Villa"
Date:
I'm having some trouble getting one of the contrib modules to load
correctly...

it's for tsearch2.sql

I've tried

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql
gmake all
gmake install

and I've also tried, from the contrib/tsearch2/ dir,

gmake

but that fails when looking for flex, which by the way, is installed.

When attempting the former method, and trying to run

psql -d mydb -f tsearch2.sql

I get all kinds of errors...

specifically,

type "tsvector" does not exist

I've googled for a solution/explaination but I'm still in the dark.

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
Mario Guenterberg
Date:
Jonathan Villa schrieb:
> I'm having some trouble getting one of the contrib modules to load
> correctly...
>
> it's for tsearch2.sql
>
> I've tried
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql
> gmake all
> gmake install
>
> and I've also tried, from the contrib/tsearch2/ dir,
>
> gmake
>
> but that fails when looking for flex, which by the way, is installed.
>
> When attempting the former method, and trying to run
>
> psql -d mydb -f tsearch2.sql
>
> I get all kinds of errors...
>
> specifically,
>
> type "tsvector" does not exist
>

> I've googled for a solution/explaination but I'm still in the dark.

Try from source root gmake -C contrib/tsearch2 and
gmake -C contrib/tsearch2 install.

What version of flex is installed?
Try flex --version.
On my machine works flex 2.5.4 fine.

With best regards

--
Mario Günterberg
mattheis. werbeagentur

Zillestrasse 105a. D - 10585 Berlin
Tel#49-(0)30 . 34 80 633 - 0
Fax#49-(0)30 . 34 80 633 50
http://www.mattheis-berlin.de

Wenn Sie glauben, dies sei ein großes Problem - warten Sie mal ab,
bis wir versuchen die Lösung zu finden. (Walter Matthau)

Attachment

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
"Jonathan Villa"
Date:
> Jonathan Villa schrieb:
>> I'm having some trouble getting one of the contrib modules to load
>> correctly...
>>
>> it's for tsearch2.sql
>>
>> I've tried
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql
>> gmake all
>> gmake install
>>
>> and I've also tried, from the contrib/tsearch2/ dir,
>>
>> gmake
>>
>> but that fails when looking for flex, which by the way, is installed.
>>
>> When attempting the former method, and trying to run
>>
>> psql -d mydb -f tsearch2.sql
>>
>> I get all kinds of errors...
>>
>> specifically,
>>
>> type "tsvector" does not exist
>>

>> I've googled for a solution/explaination but I'm still in the dark.
>
> Try from source root gmake -C contrib/tsearch2 and
> gmake -C contrib/tsearch2 install.
>
> What version of flex is installed?
> Try flex --version.
> On my machine works flex 2.5.4 fine.

thanks, that seemed to work ok... now.. how do I use tsearch2?  meaning,
how do I run the script?  is it against the database I was to use it with?
 example

psql -d mytestdb < tsearch2.sql

Granted, this is a new database that has not worked with tsearch2 before.

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
Mario Guenterberg
Date:
Jonathan Villa schrieb:

> thanks, that seemed to work ok... now.. how do I use tsearch2?  meaning,
> how do I run the script?  is it against the database I was to use it with?
>  example
>
> psql -d mytestdb < tsearch2.sql
>
> Granted, this is a new database that has not worked with tsearch2 before.

Yes, this is the right way. See
$PGSRC/contrib/tsearch2/docs/tsearch-V2-intro.html chapter
ADDING TSEARCH2 FUNCTIONALITY TO A DATABASE.

With best regards

--

Date:
> Jonathan Villa schrieb:
>
>> thanks, that seemed to work ok... now.. how do I use tsearch2?  meaning,
>> how do I run the script?  is it against the database I was to use it
>> with?
>>  example
>>
>> psql -d mytestdb < tsearch2.sql
>>
>> Granted, this is a new database that has not worked with tsearch2
>> before.
>
> Yes, this is the right way. See
> $PGSRC/contrib/tsearch2/docs/tsearch-V2-intro.html chapter
> ADDING TSEARCH2 FUNCTIONALITY TO A DATABASE.

Thanks... at least know I'm doing to correctly... but I still get the
errors.  I've done everything as it states on the tsearch-V2-intro.html
page... and then I run

 psql ftstest < tsearch2.sql &> fts.out

for testing of course

the fts.out file has things like

ERROR:  type "tsvector" does not exist
ERROR:  type "tsquery" does not exist
ERROR:  function lexize("unknown", "unknown") does not exist

I'm totally baffled... I'm running 7.4.8 by the way

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
Mario Guenterberg
Date:
Jonathan Villa schrieb:

> Thanks... at least know I'm doing to correctly... but I still get the
> errors.  I've done everything as it states on the tsearch-V2-intro.html
> page... and then I run
>
>  psql ftstest < tsearch2.sql &> fts.out
>
> for testing of course
>
> the fts.out file has things like
>
> ERROR:  type "tsvector" does not exist
> ERROR:  type "tsquery" does not exist
> ERROR:  function lexize("unknown", "unknown") does not exist
>
> I'm totally baffled... I'm running 7.4.8 by the way

I think you running a linux/unix machine?
Have you executed ldconfig or similiar after you installed tsearch2?
Is the tsearch2.so in your library path?

With best regards

--
Mario Günterberg
mattheis. werbeagentur
IT Engineer / Projektleiter

Zillestrasse 105a. D - 10585 Berlin
Tel#49-(0)30 . 34 80 633 - 0
Fax#49-(0)30 . 34 80 633 50
http://www.mattheis-berlin.de

Wenn Sie glauben, dies sei ein großes Problem - warten Sie mal ab,
bis wir versuchen die Lösung zu finden. (Walter Matthau)

Attachment

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
Marko Kreen
Date:
On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:14:43PM -0500, Jonathan Villa wrote:
> Thanks... at least know I'm doing to correctly... but I still get the
> errors.  I've done everything as it states on the tsearch-V2-intro.html
> page... and then I run
>
>  psql ftstest < tsearch2.sql &> fts.out
>
> for testing of course
>
> the fts.out file has things like
>
> ERROR:  type "tsvector" does not exist
> ERROR:  type "tsquery" does not exist
> ERROR:  function lexize("unknown", "unknown") does not exist
>
> I'm totally baffled... I'm running 7.4.8 by the way

Have you looked into server log?

--
marko

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
"Jonathan Villa"
Date:
> Jonathan Villa schrieb:
>
>> Thanks... at least know I'm doing to correctly... but I still get the
>> errors.  I've done everything as it states on the tsearch-V2-intro.html
>> page... and then I run
>>
>>  psql ftstest < tsearch2.sql &> fts.out
>>
>> for testing of course
>>
>> the fts.out file has things like
>>
>> ERROR:  type "tsvector" does not exist
>> ERROR:  type "tsquery" does not exist
>> ERROR:  function lexize("unknown", "unknown") does not exist
>>
>> I'm totally baffled... I'm running 7.4.8 by the way
>
> I think you running a linux/unix machine?
> Have you executed ldconfig or similiar after you installed tsearch2?
> Is the tsearch2.so in your library path?

Yes, I'm running on Linux

I did not try ldconfig, however I just have... and same result

tsearch2.so is in /usr/local/pgsql/lib and my home /usr/local/pgsql

Also, logs say the same thing that fts.out says

*shrug*

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
Mario Guenterberg
Date:

Re: Adding contrib modules

From
"Jonathan Villa"
Date:

> Jonathan Villa schrieb:
>
>> Yes, I'm running on Linux
>>
>> I did not try ldconfig, however I just have... and same result
>>
>> tsearch2.so is in /usr/local/pgsql/lib and my home /usr/local/pgsql
>>
>> Also, logs say the same thing that fts.out says
>
> I'm a little confused about your problem. I use postgresql 7.4.8 on
> production server and postgresql 8.0.3 on development server and your
> problem I never had.
> Is your server a clean database engine or is it in use for other
> databases? Can you execute an new initdb after removing the old data
> folder?

Yes, this problem is very confusing... PgSQL is a brand new installation,
and nothing else is running on it.  I've tried rebuilding many times and
during those times I've removed the entire /usr/local/pgsql/* directory
and then ran initdb all over again.  Right now the issue is happening on
FC3, I'll try these same steps on the production server which is RHEL 3