Windows file path for copy

From
Richard Sydney-Smith
Date:
Windows XP SP2 with Postgresql 8.0.3
Two commands on fails the other succeeds:

Fails :

select import_sharedata('C:\\Documents and
Settings\\Richard\\Desktop\\EzyChart-20050721');

Succeeds:

select import_sharedata('C:\\EzyChart-20050721');

is it the spaces in the path that postgres does not like? If so how do I
format the enquiry pls?

Failure message indicates that It can not access the file. However the
file is downloaded to my destop and thus has been created with my
permissions.

Re: Windows file path for copy

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> Windows XP SP2 with Postgresql 8.0.3
> Two commands on fails the other succeeds:
>
> Fails :
>
> select import_sharedata('C:\\Documents and
> Settings\\Richard\\Desktop\\EzyChart-20050721');
>
> Succeeds:
>
> select import_sharedata('C:\\EzyChart-20050721');
>
> is it the spaces in the path that postgres does not like? If
> so how do I format the enquiry pls?
>
> Failure message indicates that It can not access the file.
> However the file is downloaded to my destop and thus has been
> created with my permissions.

I assume import_sharedate() is a server-side function. In this case, the
*service account* needs permissions, not you. And don't grant it to your
desktop - that's generallyi a bad idea :-) Use a shared dir somewhere
that both you and the service accoutn has permissions on.

//Magnus

Re: Windows file path for copy

From
Richard Sydney-Smith
Date:
Thanks. Can see the logic but many users are going to presume that they
can load from "their" desktop. For now I can operate around the issue
but will have to place instructions in big letters unless I want to
answer this adnauseum.

Magnus Hagander wrote:
 cite="mid6BCB9D8A16AC4241919521715F4D8BCE6C7804@algol.sollentuna.se"
 type="cite">

[...]

Date:
Where does import_sharedata() come from? AFAIK, it's not a part of
standard PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL functions for this is COPY, where just
this fact is documented at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/sql-copy.html, under "Notes".

//Magnus