Re: Windows file path for copy - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Sydney-Smith
Subject Re: Windows file path for copy
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks. Can see the logic but many users are going to presume that they
can load from "their" desktop. For now I can operate around the issue
but will have to place instructions in big letters unless I want to
answer this adnauseum.

Magnus Hagander wrote:
 cite="mid6BCB9D8A16AC4241919521715F4D8BCE6C7804@algol.sollentuna.se"
 type="cite">

    Windows XP SP2 with Postgresql 8.0.3
Two commands on fails the other succeeds:

Fails :

select import_sharedata('C:\\Documents and
Settings\\Richard\\Desktop\\EzyChart-20050721');

Succeeds:

select import_sharedata('C:\\EzyChart-20050721');

is it the spaces in the path that postgres does not like? If
so how do I format the enquiry pls?

Failure message indicates that It can not access the file.
However the file is downloaded to my destop and thus has been
created with my permissions.

I assume import_sharedate() is a server-side function. In this case, the
*service account* needs permissions, not you. And don't grant it to your
desktop - that's generallyi a bad idea :-) Use a shared dir somewhere
that both you and the service accoutn has permissions on.

//Magnus