MS-Access and Stored procedures

From
"Ets ROLLAND"
Date:
Hello !

How can I use stored procedures (functions) with MS-Access 2002 connected to PostgreSQL 8.0 ?

Best regards.

Luc

Re: MS-Access and Stored procedures

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hi,

1) The simplest way to call a function from MS Access is to use a "pass-through query", like:

SELECT * FROM public."search_article"();

2) If the parameter is/are dynamic, that's more complicated. You have to edit the query at run-time, like with this
kindof code:

----------------
Sub search_store(query As String, p As String)
On Error GoTo search_storeError

    Dim MyDatabase As DAO.DataBase
    Dim MyQueryDef As DAO.QueryDef

    cmdSourisSablier

    Set MyDatabase = CurrentDb()
    If (QueryExists(query)) Then MyDatabase.QueryDefs.Delete query
    Set MyQueryDef = MyDatabase.CreateQueryDef(query)

    MyQueryDef.Connect = "ODBC;DSN=" & global_dsn_name() & ";"
    MyQueryDef.SQL = "SELECT * FROM public." & """" & query & """" & "('" & p & "');"
    MyQueryDef.ReturnsRecords = True

    MyQueryDef.Close
    Set MyQueryDef = Nothing

    MyDatabase.Close
    Set MyDatabase = Nothing

search_storeExit:
    cmdSourisNormal
    Exit Sub

search_storeError:
    MsgBox "Error in search_store."
    Resume search_storeExit
End Sub
----------------

That's fine if your query is linked to a report, for example.

3) You can also call a function from code without using a pass-through query, just to retreive a result:

----------------
Function charge_disponible_semaine(code_etape As String, semaine As Integer, année As Integer) As Double
On Error GoTo charge_disponible_semaineError

    Dim MyWorkspace As DAO.Workspace
    Dim MyConnection As DAO.Connection
    Dim MyRecordset As DAO.Recordset
    Dim MySQLString As String
    Dim MyODBCConnectString As String
    Dim query As String

    query = "charge_disponible_semaine"

    Set MyWorkspace = CreateWorkspace("ODBCWorkspace", "", "", dbUseODBC)
    MyODBCConnectString = "ODBC;DSN=" & global_dsn_name() & ";"
    Set MyConnection = MyWorkspace.OpenConnection("Connection1", dbDriverNoPrompt, , MyODBCConnectString)
    MySQLString = "SELECT * FROM public." & """" & query & """" & "('" & code_etape & "', " & semaine & ", " & année &
");"
    Set MyRecordset = MyConnection.OpenRecordset(MySQLString, dbOpenDynamic)

    With MyRecordset
        If Not .EOF Then
            charge_disponible_semaine = MyRecordset("charge_disponible_semaine")
        Else
            charge_disponible_semaine = 0
        End If
    End With

    MyRecordset.Close
    Set MyRecordset = Nothing

    MyConnection.Close
    Set MyConnection = Nothing

    MyWorkspace.Close
    Set MyWorkspace = Nothing

charge_disponible_semaineExit:
    Exit Function

charge_disponible_semaineError:
    MsgBox "Error in charge_disponible_semaine."
    Resume charge_disponible_semaineExit
End Function
----------------

I hope this helps. One or two utility function are needed:

----------------
Public Function global_dsn_name() As String
    global_dsn_name = "you_dsn_name"
End Function

Public Function QueryExists(QueryName As String) As Boolean
On Error Resume Next

    QueryExists = IsObject(CurrentDb().QueryDefs(QueryName))

End Function
----------------

Philippe Lang

________________________________

How can I use stored procedures (functions) with MS-Access 2002 connected to PostgreSQL 8.0 ?

Best regards.

Luc

Re: MS-Access and Stored procedures

From
Hervé Inisan
Date:
> How can I use stored procedures (functions) with MS-Access
> 2002 connected to PostgreSQL 8.0 ?

An alternative to Philippe's solution is to use ADO.
Here is an sample function :
(assuming ActiveX Data Object lib is checked in the Tools/References menu)

Function ADO_PG()
Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
Dim rst As ADODB.Recordset
Dim cmd As ADODB.Command
Dim strSQL As String

' Open connection
Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection
cnn.CursorLocation = adUseClient
cnn.ConnectionString = "DSN=<your ODBC DSN here>"
cnn.Open

' Display resultset (SELECT...)
Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM a_function_returning_rows()"
rst.Open strSQL, cnn, adOpenDynamic, adLockOptimistic
While Not rst.EOF
    Debug.Print rst("one column name here")

    ' Next record
    rst.MoveNext
Wend
rst.Close
Set rst = Nothing

' Execute function (e.g.: INSERT, UPDATE...)
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
cmd.CommandText = "another_pg_function()"
cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
cmd.Execute
Set cmd = Nothing

' Close resources
cnn.Close
Set cnn = Nothing
End Function

Of course, parameters can be sent to stored procedures.

HTH,
-- Hervé Inisan, www.self-access.com

Re: MS-Access and Stored procedures

From
"Zlatko Matic"
Date:
Hello...This is very interesting. I have also asked myself how to prepare
and execute stored procedures on POstgre from MS Access.
Could you, please, give some example of Postgre function with parameters
that is executed as stored procedure from MS Access? How would you pass
parameters ? Using ADO Command object?

Greetings,

Zlatko

Date:
> Hello...This is very interesting. I have also asked myself
> how to prepare and execute stored procedures on POstgre from
> MS Access.
> Could you, please, give some example of Postgre function with
> parameters that is executed as stored procedure from MS
> Access? How would you pass parameters ? Using ADO Command object?

AFAIK, there are 2 ways to send parameters from Access to a PG function,
using ADO:

1. Write the parameters as the CommandText string:
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction('this is a parameter', 25)"
cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
cmd.Execute
Set cmd = Nothing

The CommandText string can be the result of a concatenation:
Cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction('" & strMyString & "', " & intMyValue & ")"

2. Another way is to use "true" ADO parameters:
Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction"
cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc

Dim prm1 As ADODB.Parameter
Set prm1 = New ADODB.Parameter
With prm1
    .Type = adVarChar
    .Direction = adParamInput
    .Value = "another string sent to PG"
    .Name = "param1"
    .Size = 30
End With

Dim prm2 As ADODB.Parameter
Set prm2 = New ADODB.Parameter
With prm2
    .Type = adInteger
    .Direction = adParamInput
    .Value = 25
    .Name = "param2"
    .Size = 0
End With
cmd.Parameters.Append prm1
cmd.Parameters.Append prm2
cmd.Execute
Set cmd = Nothing

Voilà!
-- Hervé Inisan, www.self-access.com

Re: MS-Access and Stored procedures

From
"Zlatko Matic"
Date:
I was using ADO command object and both refresh method and method with
creating parameter object while working with Access Project...but I didn't
try to use it with PostgreSQL...
I would rather like to have all queries on client side anyway. Therefore I
use pass-through queries. But it doesn't allow using parameters (execept by
concatenation). Also, you can't base subforms on pass-through queries, so
now I use strange combination of local tables, append queries with
parameters based on pass-through queries etc. It works but I'm aware that it
is not very clever:)...
I think that it would be great if pass-through queries could accept
parameters. That would be a powerfull way for executing queries on client,
while keeping all the code on front-end side...But I doubt that Microsoft
will work on further Access improving anymore. It seems that Access is left
behind while VS.NET is top technology. Too bad...

IS there any good book covering MS Access usage as front-end for different
database servers except MSDE ?

Do you have form/subform/subform...based on stored procedures ? If so, how
do you synchronize form with subform ?

Greetings,

Zlatko

>> Hello...This is very interesting. I have also asked myself
>> how to prepare and execute stored procedures on POstgre from
>> MS Access.
>> Could you, please, give some example of Postgre function with
>> parameters that is executed as stored procedure from MS
>> Access? How would you pass parameters ? Using ADO Command object?
>
> AFAIK, there are 2 ways to send parameters from Access to a PG function,
> using ADO:
>
> 1. Write the parameters as the CommandText string:
> Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
> cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
> cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction('this is a parameter', 25)"
> cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
> cmd.Execute
> Set cmd = Nothing
>
> The CommandText string can be the result of a concatenation:
> Cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction('" & strMyString & "', " & intMyValue &
> ")"
>
> 2. Another way is to use "true" ADO parameters:
> Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
> cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
> cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction"
> cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
>
> Dim prm1 As ADODB.Parameter
> Set prm1 = New ADODB.Parameter
> With prm1
>    .Type = adVarChar
>    .Direction = adParamInput
>    .Value = "another string sent to PG"
>    .Name = "param1"
>    .Size = 30
> End With
>
> Dim prm2 As ADODB.Parameter
> Set prm2 = New ADODB.Parameter
> With prm2
>    .Type = adInteger
>    .Direction = adParamInput
>    .Value = 25
>    .Name = "param2"
>    .Size = 0
> End With
> cmd.Parameters.Append prm1
> cmd.Parameters.Append prm2
> cmd.Execute
> Set cmd = Nothing
>
> Voilà!
> -- Hervé Inisan, www.self-access.com

Re: MS-Access and Stored procedures

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hi,

You can use pass-through queries with parameters. You have to edit the pass-through querydef at run-time before opening
it,and it works. That's fine if you want to use this query as a datasource for a form or a report.

----------------
[...]

Regarding DAO/ADO, I suggest you have a look a performances. The fastest way for me to call PG functions was to use
DAO,which is a bit obsolete, I agree. But there was an initial overhead with ADO that made me use DAO instead. Since I
putall the logic on the server, this is only "glue code", so using DAO is not a problem, even if ADO is supposed to be
thefuture... If you put logic on the client, that's another problem maybe.

Philippe Lang

>> Hello...This is very interesting. I have also asked myself
>> how to prepare and execute stored procedures on POstgre from
>> MS Access.
>> Could you, please, give some example of Postgre function with
>> parameters that is executed as stored procedure from MS
>> Access? How would you pass parameters ? Using ADO Command object?
>
> AFAIK, there are 2 ways to send parameters from Access to a PG function,
> using ADO:
>
> 1. Write the parameters as the CommandText string:
> Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
> cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
> cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction('this is a parameter', 25)"
> cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
> cmd.Execute
> Set cmd = Nothing
>
> The CommandText string can be the result of a concatenation:
> Cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction('" & strMyString & "', " & intMyValue &
> ")"
>
> 2. Another way is to use "true" ADO parameters:
> Set cmd = New ADODB.Command
> cmd.ActiveConnection = cnn
> cmd.CommandText = "mypgfunction"
> cmd.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc
>
> Dim prm1 As ADODB.Parameter
> Set prm1 = New ADODB.Parameter
> With prm1
>    .Type = adVarChar
>    .Direction = adParamInput
>    .Value = "another string sent to PG"
>    .Name = "param1"
>    .Size = 30
> End With
>
> Dim prm2 As ADODB.Parameter
> Set prm2 = New ADODB.Parameter
> With prm2
>    .Type = adInteger
>    .Direction = adParamInput
>    .Value = 25
>    .Name = "param2"
>    .Size = 0
> End With
> cmd.Parameters.Append prm1
> cmd.Parameters.Append prm2
> cmd.Execute
> Set cmd = Nothing
>
> Voilà!
> -- Hervé Inisan, www.self-access.com

      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: MS-Access and Stored procedures

From
"Ets ROLLAND"
Date:
Many thanks to Philippe Lang and Hervé Inisan for all these very interseting  tips !
I've solved all my problems...

Best regards.

Luc