psql performance

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
How come when I paste a large query into psql it starts off fast but
then slows to a crawl eating up cpu just echoing the query back to me?
I'm using psql 7.4.7

Re: psql performance

From
"Dann Corbit"
Date:
What is the query?
What is the schema for the tables in the query?
What is the cardinality of the tables?

What does the planner say, when you do this:
explain <query>
explain analyze <query>

http://www.faqs.org/docs/ppbook/r26943.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Joseph
Shraibman
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 6:19 PM
To: pgsql-general
Subject: [GENERAL] psql performance

How come when I paste a large query into psql it starts off fast but
then slows to a crawl eating up cpu just echoing the query back to me?
I'm using psql 7.4.7

Re: psql performance

From
Paul Tillotson
Date:
I am not sure if this is relevant, but I think it may depend on what
kind of shell you are using.  I use putty on windows XP, and it seemed
to me that when I had the encoding set to Latin-1, it always pasted very
fast, but when I had it set to UTF8, the paste would be slow.   I
concluded (perhaps wrongly--I have not tested much) that putty goes much
slower when using UTF8.

Have you confirmed that psql is at fault, and not your shell?  (I.e.,
try pasting directly to the shell--hopefully your query doesn't start
with rm -rf /          : )

Regards,
Paul Tillotson

Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> How come when I paste a large query into psql it starts off fast but
> then slows to a crawl eating up cpu just echoing the query back to me?
> I'm using psql 7.4.7

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: psql performance

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
The cpu on the remote server is being used up by psql, and my shell is
local.

Paul Tillotson wrote:
> I am not sure if this is relevant, but I think it may depend on what
> kind of shell you are using.  I use putty on windows XP, and it seemed
> to me that when I had the encoding set to Latin-1, it always pasted very
> fast, but when I had it set to UTF8, the paste would be slow.   I
> concluded (perhaps wrongly--I have not tested much) that putty goes much
> slower when using UTF8.
>
> Have you confirmed that psql is at fault, and not your shell?  (I.e.,
> try pasting directly to the shell--hopefully your query doesn't start
> with rm -rf /          : )
>
> Regards,
> Paul Tillotson
>
> Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>
>> How come when I paste a large query into psql it starts off fast but
>> then slows to a crawl eating up cpu just echoing the query back to me?
>> I'm using psql 7.4.7

>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: psql performance

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
It doesn't matter what the query is.  The problem happens before it even
runs the query.  Just try pasting select
'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' union select
[...]

... and see how long it takes just to get to the point where it executes
the query.

Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?

Dann Corbit wrote:
> What is the query?
> What is the schema for the tables in the query?
> What is the cardinality of the tables?
>
> What does the planner say, when you do this:
> explain <query>
> explain analyze <query>
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/ppbook/r26943.htm

Re: psql performance

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> It doesn't matter what the query is.  The problem happens before it even
> runs the query.  Just try pasting select
> 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' union select
> 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' union select
> 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' union select

I can not reproduce your problem on 8.0.2.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting

Re: psql performance

Date:
Joseph Shraibman <jks@selectacast.net> writes:
> It doesn't matter what the query is.  The problem happens before it even
> runs the query.

Hmmm ... I see different misbehavior (psql seems to lock up entirely,
it doesn't slow down or eat CPU).  But it's still misbehavior.

"psql -n" doesn't have a problem, which says that this is probably a
readline bug rather than our own bug.  I think it's probably context
dependent too; I'm pretty sure I've pasted big queries into psql without
a problem while working directly on my work machine, but right now I'm
ssh'd into it from a laptop and I do see a problem.

[ further experimentation... ]  A local psql on the laptop doesn't
show a problem either.  Both this and the one on the work machine
are 8.1devel using readline-4.2a, so it doesn't seem to be an issue
of different software versions.  Maybe readline doesn't like ssh?

[ still further experimentation... ]  No, because ssh'ing to my *other*
work machine and running psql there doesn't show a problem either.
Curiouser and curiouser.  But it's clearly very context dependent.

You should probably tell us *exactly* what you are running, in every bit
of software between you and psql.  My tests here are with (local) Mac OS
X 10.3.8, Apple-supplied X server and xterm terminal, Apple-supplied ssh
(seems to be 3.6.1p1), local psql is current PG sources + readline 4.2a.
The remote that doesn't work nicely is HPUX 10.20, sshd is
openssh-3.7.1p2, current psql sources, readline 4.2a.  The remote that
does work nicely is Fedora Core 3, sshd 3.9p1-8.0.1, current psql
sources, readline 4.3-13.  I'm not seeing a pattern ...

> Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?

UNION eliminates duplicates.

            regards, tom lane

Re: psql performance

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:05:37PM -0400, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> It doesn't matter what the query is.  The problem happens before it even
> runs the query.

This is most certainly a problem with the shell or the terminal.  I have
seen this effect somewhere else, but I can't reproduce it with psql in
an xterm.

> Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?

Try with "union all" instead of plain union.

"Doing what he did amounts to sticking his fingers under the hood of the
implementation; if he gets his fingers burnt, it's his problem."  (Tom Lane)

Re: psql performance

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:17:55PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> >It doesn't matter what the query is.  The problem happens before it even
> >runs the query.  Just try pasting select
> >'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' union select
> >'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' union select
> >'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' union select
>
> I can not reproduce your problem on 8.0.2.

Nor I with 7.2.7, 7.3.9, 7.4.7, 8.0.2, or 8.1devel.

What happens if you edit the query with \e and then issue it, or
if you put the query in a file and use \i to read it?  Could you
tell us something about your environment -- OS, window manager,
terminal, etc.?

> >Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?

That's how UNION works:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/queries-union.html

"Furthermore, it eliminates all duplicate rows, in the sense of
DISTINCT, unless UNION ALL is used."

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: psql performance

From
"Uwe C. Schroeder"
Date:
Don't see a problem pasting this one.
Neither to a local nor to a remote ssh (running psql certainly).
This is 7.4.7 on redhat and mandrake linux'es

I'd suspect it has nothing to do with psql. Can you paste that into a normal
ssh / terminal ?

    UC

--
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066

UNION messing up sorting WAS: psql performance

From
Joseph Shraibman

Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>>Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?
>

> Try with "union all" instead of plain union.

Talk about serendipity.  The problem I've been struggling with for the
last few hours has been why my query wasn't producing sorted output even
though I put in an ORDER BY and the EXPLAIN shows that it is ordering.
The DISTINCT implied by the UNION must have been messing up the sorting.

The docs say
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-select.html#SQL-UNION):

select_statement is any SELECT statement without an ORDER BY, LIMIT, or
FOR UPDATE clause. (ORDER BY and LIMIT can be attached to a
subexpression if it is enclosed in parentheses.

... but I *did* put my SELECTs in parentheses.  This is either a bug in
pg or a serious ommision from the docs.

Re: psql performance

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
I'm sshing into my redhat 8 server and running psql 7.4.7.

My client is fedora core 3.  With konsole terminals I have the problem
but with xterm I don't.

I did a diff between the output of env of both of them and got:

-SSH_CLIENT=66.xxx.xxx.124 32943 22
-SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/5
+SSH_CLIENT=66.xxx.xxx.124 33110 22
+SSH_TTY=/dev/pts/6

(I sanatized my ip)

So the question what is the difference between konsole and xterm that is
causing cpu to be eating up on the server?

My ssh client:
[jks@jks-desktop ~]$ ssh -V
OpenSSH_3.9p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a Feb 19 2003

server sshd:
sshd version OpenSSH_3.4p1

server:> rpm -qa | grep readline
readline-devel-4.3-3
readline-4.3-3

[jks@jks-desktop ~]$ rpm -qa | grep readline
readline-4.3-13
readline-devel-4.3-13

Tom Lane wrote:
> Joseph Shraibman <jks@selectacast.net> writes:
>
>>It doesn't matter what the query is.  The problem happens before it even
>>runs the query.
>

> Hmmm ... I see different misbehavior (psql seems to lock up entirely,
> it doesn't slow down or eat CPU).  But it's still misbehavior.
>
> "psql -n" doesn't have a problem, which says that this is probably a
> readline bug rather than our own bug.  I think it's probably context
> dependent too; I'm pretty sure I've pasted big queries into psql without
> a problem while working directly on my work machine, but right now I'm
> ssh'd into it from a laptop and I do see a problem.
>
> [ further experimentation... ]  A local psql on the laptop doesn't
> show a problem either.  Both this and the one on the work machine
> are 8.1devel using readline-4.2a, so it doesn't seem to be an issue
> of different software versions.  Maybe readline doesn't like ssh?
>
> [ still further experimentation... ]  No, because ssh'ing to my *other*
> work machine and running psql there doesn't show a problem either.
> Curiouser and curiouser.  But it's clearly very context dependent.
>
> You should probably tell us *exactly* what you are running, in every bit
> of software between you and psql.  My tests here are with (local) Mac OS
> X 10.3.8, Apple-supplied X server and xterm terminal, Apple-supplied ssh
> (seems to be 3.6.1p1), local psql is current PG sources + readline 4.2a.
> The remote that doesn't work nicely is HPUX 10.20, sshd is
> openssh-3.7.1p2, current psql sources, readline 4.2a.  The remote that
> does work nicely is Fedora Core 3, sshd 3.9p1-8.0.1, current psql
> sources, readline 4.3-13.  I'm not seeing a pattern ...
>

>>Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?
>

> UNION eliminates duplicates.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: psql performance

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> So the question what is the difference between konsole and xterm that is
> causing cpu to be eating up on the server?

Scratch that.  I wasn't using the same input for both queries.  Both of
them are slow.

I discovered that adding newlines to the query speeds things up a lot.

Re: psql performance

From
Joseph Shraibman
Date:
Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> Don't see a problem pasting this one.
> Neither to a local nor to a remote ssh (running psql certainly).
> This is 7.4.7 on redhat and mandrake linux'es
>
> I'd suspect it has nothing to do with psql. Can you paste that into a normal
> ssh / terminal ?

It is slow just pasting to the shell prompt too.  But when I paste it
into psql I can see psql's cpu shoot to 100%, that's why I originally
through it was a psql bug.

I tried this on redhat 9 servers also, same problem.

readline-4.3-5
readline-devel-4.3-5

sshd version OpenSSH_3.5p1

Re: psql performance

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:05:37PM -0400, Joseph Shraibman wrote:
> Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with that?

That's PostgreSQL acting according to ANSI SQL. If you want multiple
rows, you need UNION ALL.

Re: UNION messing up sorting WAS: psql performance

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:23:14AM -0400, Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> >>Incidentally when I did that I only got back one row.  What's up with
> >>that?
> >

> >Try with "union all" instead of plain union.
> >
> Talk about serendipity.  The problem I've been struggling with for the
> last few hours has been why my query wasn't producing sorted output even
> though I put in an ORDER BY and the EXPLAIN shows that it is ordering.
> The DISTINCT implied by the UNION must have been messing up the sorting.
>
> The docs say
> (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/sql-select.html#SQL-UNION):
>
> select_statement is any SELECT statement without an ORDER BY, LIMIT, or
> FOR UPDATE clause. (ORDER BY and LIMIT can be attached to a
> subexpression if it is enclosed in parentheses.
>

> ... but I *did* put my SELECTs in parentheses.  This is either a bug in
> pg or a serious ommision from the docs.

It's not a bug, though it could possibly made clearer in the docs. If
you want your final output in a specific order, you have to put you
ORDER BY in the very outermost level of the query. PostgreSQL is pretty
liberal about where you can put ORDER BY, but when it comes to output
ordering only the order of the final query step matters.

Why allow ordering elsewhere? Consider this more-performant replacement
for SELECT max(blah):

SELECT max
    FROM (SELECT blah FROM table ORDER BY blah DESC LIMIT 1) a
;

Maybe not a great example since you'll only get one row back, but the
point is that the ORDER BY in the subquery doesn't mean a thing when it
comes to output order.