PostgreSQL and .NET

From
"Stanislaw Tristan"
Date:
If there was idea to implement a .NET support in Windows version of PostgreSQL? Like existing Pl/Java

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

Date:
Stanislaw Tristan wrote:
> If there was idea to implement a .NET support in Windows version of PostgreSQL? Like existing Pl/Java

We have a .Net client.  You want server-side .Net?  No one has ever
talked about that, sorry.

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Stanislaw Tristan wrote:
>> If there was idea to implement a .NET support in Windows version of PostgreSQL? Like existing Pl/Java
>
> We have a .Net client.  You want server-side .Net?  No one has ever
> talked about that, sorry.

not knowin gmuch about .Net ... what is a 'server-side .Net'?  Like a
PL/.Net?

----

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Stanislaw Tristan wrote:
> >> If there was idea to implement a .NET support in Windows version of PostgreSQL? Like existing Pl/Java
> >
> > We have a .Net client.  You want server-side .Net?  No one has ever
> > talked about that, sorry.
>
> not knowin gmuch about .Net ... what is a 'server-side .Net'?  Like a
> PL/.Net?

Yea, I assume so. If we can do server-side Java, I assume we could do
server-side .Net if someone wanted to code it.  Of course it would be
Win32-only, unless we used Mono for Unix.

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sat, 2 Apr 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>>> We have a .Net client.  You want server-side .Net?  No one has ever
>>> talked about that, sorry.
>>
>> not knowin gmuch about .Net ... what is a 'server-side .Net'?  Like a
>> PL/.Net?
>
> Yea, I assume so. If we can do server-side Java, I assume we could do
> server-side .Net if someone wanted to code it.  Of course it would be
> Win32-only, unless we used Mono for Unix.

From the Mono web site:

"Mono can run existing programs targeting the .NET or Java frameworks."

does this mean that something written for Java (or .Net) could be compiled
without mods?

Mono would give someone inclined to code that a fairly easy inroad into
several operating systems though ...  I notice that they don't list
Solaris as supported ...

----

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
I think he means PL C#

I thought I saw a project started for PL C# or PL Mono on Gborg.

> not knowin gmuch about .Net ... what is a 'server-side .Net'?  Like a
> PL/.Net?
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ:
> 7615664

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>  From the Mono web site:
>
> "Mono can run existing programs targeting the .NET or Java frameworks."
>
> does this mean that something written for Java (or .Net) could be
> compiled without mods?

Mono runs Java using IKVM.NET http://www.ikvm.net/. It's not yet fully
compliant with Java 1.4. As with GNU GCJ, it uses GNU Classpath and is a
couple of years behind mainstream Java, both from a functionality and
performance standpoint. Still, IKVM is a very interesting project.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
Russ Brown
Date:
Tony Caduto wrote:
> I think he means PL C#
>
> I thought I saw a project started for PL C# or PL Mono on Gborg.

plmono sounds very interesting. It would basically mean you could
program procedures in any language that has a .NET bytecode compiler,
including C#, C++, VB(!) and I believe java. I wouldn't be surprised if
there wasn't a .NET version of python in the works too, or even Ruby.

--

Russ.

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
Pavel Stehule
Date:
Hello

maybe

http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/plmono/projdisplay.php

but I am not know more

regards
Pavel Stehule

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> maybe
>
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/plmono/projdisplay.php
>
> but I am not know more

Judging from the CVS, that project hasn't had any activity at all the
last 14 months or so. Is it still active? Has it been moved?

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
Russ Brown
Date:
Thomas Hallgren wrote:
> Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> maybe
>>
>> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/plmono/projdisplay.php
>>
>> but I am not know more
>>
> Judging from the CVS, that project hasn't had any activity at all the
> last 14 months or so. Is it still active? Has it been moved?

I've had a browse of the 4 entries in the mailing list archive and saw a
comment that they were aiming to remain low-key until they were ready
for an initial release. It does seem like a long time though...

> Regards,
> Thomas Hallgren

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
"P. Joshua Rovero"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> From the Mono web site:
>

> "Mono can run existing programs targeting the .NET or Java frameworks."
>
> does this mean that something written for Java (or .Net) could be
> compiled without mods?
>
> Mono would give someone inclined to code that a fairly easy inroad into
> several operating systems though ...  I notice that they don't list
> Solaris as supported ...

We have tried some basic web service request code in C#, and it runs
the same in both .NET and Mono.  We also made the same WS requests
in Java.  There were a couple fewer source lines of code in the
C# versus Java.

It does take some effort for a Visual Studio .NET developer to keep
the generated code true to the ECMA C# and CLI standards (no
MS-specific extensions) so that it is Mono-compatible.  No such
issues on the Java side.

For the "most portable" apps, Java is probably the better choice.

Josh Rovero

Re: PostgreSQL and .NET

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>version of PostgreSQL? Like existing Pl/Java

>>> not knowin gmuch about .Net ... what is a 'server-side
>.Net'?  Like a
>>> PL/.Net?
>>
>> Yea, I assume so. If we can do server-side Java, I assume we could do
>> server-side .Net if someone wanted to code it.  Of course it would be
>> Win32-only, unless we used Mono for Unix.

From the Mono web site:

>"Mono can run existing programs targeting the .NET or Java frameworks."
>
>does this mean that something written for Java (or .Net) could
>be compiled without mods?

No need to recompile, just run it. While it feels a bit weird, running
"./foo.exe" works just fine (assuming you've configured the "misc binary
executor" or wahtever it's called to identify a mono executable -
otherwise, run "mono foo.exe"). Compiled with Visual Studio on Windows,
just copy over the .EXE. The same should work for Java, but the support
is not as complete in the class libraries, AFAIK.

PL/mono would be very nice. You can write in C#, Java, C++, VB(yuck),
JScript etc from MS product, and there is definitly a python
implementation out there. There are commercial implementations that let
you do Cobol, if you're really crazy ;-)
It would also provide a nice migration / co-existance with MS SQL 2005
which has it, and I beleive the new DB2 versions (on windows) also have
stored procs in .NET.

As .net is fairly similar to the JVM in architecture, it would probably
be about as much work as PL/J[ava]. Which is quite a bit of work. I have
no idea if anything can just be "stolen" from the PL/J[ava] projects...

//Magnus