Re: PostgreSQL and .NET - Mailing list pgsql-general

From P. Joshua Rovero
Subject Re: PostgreSQL and .NET
Date
List pgsql-general
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

>> From the Mono web site:
>

> "Mono can run existing programs targeting the .NET or Java frameworks."
>
> does this mean that something written for Java (or .Net) could be
> compiled without mods?
>
> Mono would give someone inclined to code that a fairly easy inroad into
> several operating systems though ...  I notice that they don't list
> Solaris as supported ...

We have tried some basic web service request code in C#, and it runs
the same in both .NET and Mono.  We also made the same WS requests
in Java.  There were a couple fewer source lines of code in the
C# versus Java.

It does take some effort for a Visual Studio .NET developer to keep
the generated code true to the ECMA C# and CLI standards (no
MS-specific extensions) so that it is Mono-compatible.  No such
issues on the Java side.

For the "most portable" apps, Java is probably the better choice.

Josh Rovero