question about 8.1 and stored procedures

From
Tony Caduto
Date:
Hi,
I read in a article/interview on http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/62/3677.html
that work was being done on improving/adding support for sql standard
compliant stored procs/functions

Does anyone know exactly what that means?

Does it mean that Postgres will have stored procs that can have input
and output params?

Thanks,

Tony

Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures

Date:
Tony Caduto wrote:
> Hi,
> I read in a article/interview on http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/62/3677.html
> that work was being done on improving/adding support for sql standard
> compliant stored procs/functions
>
> Does anyone know exactly what that means?
>
> Does it mean that Postgres will have stored procs that can have input
> and output params?

Yes.

Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Tony Caduto wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I read in a article/interview on http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/62/3677.html
>> that work was being done on improving/adding support for sql standard
>> compliant stored procs/functions
>>
>> Does anyone know exactly what that means?
>>
>> Does it mean that Postgres will have stored procs that can have input
>> and output params?
>
> Yes.

I think that keyword here is 'sql standard compliant', not stored procedures
itself, because we have them for a long time and with support of dozen
languages. Or I miss something ?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Tony Caduto wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I read in a article/interview on
>>> http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/62/3677.html
>>> that work was being done on improving/adding support for sql standard
>>> compliant stored procs/functions
>>>
>>> Does anyone know exactly what that means?
>>>
>>> Does it mean that Postgres will have stored procs that can have input
>>> and output params?
>>

>> Yes.
>

> I think that keyword here is 'sql standard compliant', not stored
> procedures
> itself, because we have them for a long time and with support of dozen
> languages. Or I miss something ?

What I read from this is, when will PostgreSQL have stored procedures
like Oracle. Thus the IN/OUT parameter statement.

My understanding is that 8.1 will have a much more mature implementation of
stored procedures versus UDFs (Which we have had forever).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> Yes.
>>

>> I think that keyword here is 'sql standard compliant', not stored
>> procedures
>> itself, because we have them for a long time and with support of dozen
>> languages. Or I miss something ?
>
> What I read from this is, when will PostgreSQL have stored procedures like
> Oracle. Thus the IN/OUT parameter statement.

I mean original Josh's interview
"An example of what people are working on right now is SQL standard compliant
stored procedures. We have procedures now, but they're not compliant with the
standard syntax." Nothing about Oracle unless Oracle has standard compliant
stored procedures.

> My understanding is that 8.1 will have a much more mature implementation of
> stored procedures versus UDFs (Which we have had forever).

What's the difference between UDF and stored procedure  ?

> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

>>     Regards,
>>         Oleg
>> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
>> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
>> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
>> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

>> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>> My understanding is that 8.1 will have a much more mature
>> implementation of
>> stored procedures versus UDFs (Which we have had forever).
>

> What's the difference between UDF and stored procedure  ?

Here are a couple of GGIYF references:

http://builder.com.com/5100-6388-1045463.html
http://blogs.pingpoet.com/vbguru/archive/2004/04/29/535.aspx

They are similar but they offer different functionality. At least in
the sense of the other databases.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>>> My understanding is that 8.1 will have a much more mature implementation
>>> of
>>> stored procedures versus UDFs (Which we have had forever).
>>

>> What's the difference between UDF and stored procedure  ?
>>
> Here are a couple of GGIYF references:
>
> http://builder.com.com/5100-6388-1045463.html
> http://blogs.pingpoet.com/vbguru/archive/2004/04/29/535.aspx
>
> They are similar but they offer different functionality. At least in
> the sense of the other databases.

Hmm, the only real difference I see - is that SP are precompiled.
I think we should clearly outline what is SP and what is UDF and do we
are working on SP or just improving and extending our functions.

Date:
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> Hmm, the only real difference I see - is that SP are precompiled.
> I think we should clearly outline what is SP and what is UDF and do we
> are working on SP or just improving and extending our functions.

AFAIR, the only person who's actually stated any intention to work on
this for 8.1 was me, and what I intend to do is just enough to support
OUT and INOUT parameters in plpgsql.  This is mostly because Red Hat
wants to run some test suites that require those capabilities.

There was some discussion of other ideas in the pgsql-hackers list
a few weeks ago (see the archives) but I don't think anyone is stepping
up to the plate to do them.

            regards, tom lane

Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures

From
Thomas Hallgren
Date:
Oleg Bartunov wrote:

>>> What's the difference between UDF and stored procedure  ?
>>>
>> Here are a couple of GGIYF references:
>>
>> http://builder.com.com/5100-6388-1045463.html
>> http://blogs.pingpoet.com/vbguru/archive/2004/04/29/535.aspx
>>
>> They are similar but they offer different functionality. At least in
>> the sense of the other databases.
>>

> Hmm, the only real difference I see - is that SP are precompiled.
> I think we should clearly outline what is SP and what is UDF and do we
> are working on SP or just improving and extending our functions.

I always thought that the big difference was that a SP can start and end
top level transactions whereas UDFs must execute within the scope of a
transaction started by the caller. The above article doesn't mention
this at all.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren