Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su> writes:
> Hmm, the only real difference I see - is that SP are precompiled.
> I think we should clearly outline what is SP and what is UDF and do we
> are working on SP or just improving and extending our functions.

AFAIR, the only person who's actually stated any intention to work on
this for 8.1 was me, and what I intend to do is just enough to support
OUT and INOUT parameters in plpgsql.  This is mostly because Red Hat
wants to run some test suites that require those capabilities.

There was some discussion of other ideas in the pgsql-hackers list
a few weeks ago (see the archives) but I don't think anyone is stepping
up to the plate to do them.

            regards, tom lane