Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: question about 8.1 and stored procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
Oleg Bartunov wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> Tony Caduto wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I read in a article/interview on
>>> http://madpenguin.org/cms/html/62/3677.html
>>> that work was being done on improving/adding support for sql standard
>>> compliant stored procs/functions
>>>
>>> Does anyone know exactly what that means?
>>>
>>> Does it mean that Postgres will have stored procs that can have input
>>> and output params?
>>

>> Yes.
>

> I think that keyword here is 'sql standard compliant', not stored
> procedures
> itself, because we have them for a long time and with support of dozen
> languages. Or I miss something ?

What I read from this is, when will PostgreSQL have stored procedures
like Oracle. Thus the IN/OUT parameter statement.

My understanding is that 8.1 will have a much more mature implementation of
stored procedures versus UDFs (Which we have had forever).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>     Regards,
>         Oleg
> Oleg Bartunov, sci.researcher, hostmaster of AstroNet,
> Sternberg Astronomical Institute, Moscow University (Russia)
> Internet: oleg@sai.msu.su, http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/
> phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Attachment