Books for experienced DB developer

From
"Craig Bryden"
Date:
Hi

I am a very experienced MS-SQL developer. I am looking to port a database to
PostgreSQL. Which books that are available would be ideal for someone who is
already an experienced DB developer?

Thanks
Craig

Pop-up ads giving you a hard time? Block them with MSN Toolbar.
http://toolbar.msn.co.za?DI=1054&XAPID=2083

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:33:52AM +0200, Craig Bryden wrote:

> I am a very experienced MS-SQL developer. I am looking to port a database
> to PostgreSQL. Which books that are available would be ideal for someone
> who is already an experienced DB developer?

PostgreSQL has good documentation so I'd suggest starting there.
If the documentation doesn't cover something you want to know then
please provide more info about what you're looking for.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
"Craig Bryden"
Date:
Hi Michael

I am having some problems porting my Stored Procedures. I am using the
pl/pgsql language. Instead of irritating/spamming everyone on this mailing
list, I was hoping that there would be a comprehensive book that focusses on
how to do DB things in PostgreSQL, but that does not spend too much time
explaining RDBMS basics.

Thanks
Craig

Research SA schools and varsities on MSN Search. http://search.msn.co.za

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Patrick FICHE
Date:
Hi Craig,

2 years ago, I had to do some porting from MS SQL to Postgres.
All the application logic was coded in stored procedures...

The major problem I was faced to, was to port procedures returning multiple
result-sets...
Another problem was that there is no default value for stored procedures in
PostgreSQL, so you have to set all parameters and modify calling
applications to do so...

I have written some tips for porting but in French.
If you face to special problems, don't hesitate to ask for and if I perhaps
encountered the same problem...

Patrick

---------------
Patrick Fiche
email : patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com
tél : 01 69 29 36 18
---------------

I am having some problems porting my Stored Procedures. I am using the
pl/pgsql language. Instead of irritating/spamming everyone on this mailing
list, I was hoping that there would be a comprehensive book that focusses on

how to do DB things in PostgreSQL, but that does not spend too much time
explaining RDBMS basics.

Thanks
Craig
>From: Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>
>To: Craig Bryden <brydencraig@hotmail.com>
>CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Books for experienced DB developer
>Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 02:58:29 -0700
>
>On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:33:52AM +0200, Craig Bryden wrote:
>
> > I am a very experienced MS-SQL developer. I am looking to port a
>database
> > to PostgreSQL. Which books that are available would be ideal for someone
> > who is already an experienced DB developer?
>
>PostgreSQL has good documentation so I'd suggest starting there.
>If the documentation doesn't cover something you want to know then
>please provide more info about what you're looking for.
>
>--
>Michael Fuhr
>http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Research SA schools and varsities on MSN Search. http://search.msn.co.za

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Tino Wildenhain
Date:
On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 11:25 +0100, Patrick FICHE wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> 2 years ago, I had to do some porting from MS SQL to Postgres.
> All the application logic was coded in stored procedures...
>
> The major problem I was faced to, was to port procedures returning multiple
> result-sets...

At least, this isnt a problem anymore :-)

Regards
Tino

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Patrick FICHE
Date:
I'm afraid this is still a problem.
From my knowledge, Postgres function is able to return a single result-set
not multiple.
I may have missed some facility...

Regards,
Patrick
---------------
Patrick Fiche
email : patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com
tél : 01 69 29 36 18
---------------

On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 11:25 +0100, Patrick FICHE wrote:
> Hi Craig,
>
> 2 years ago, I had to do some porting from MS SQL to Postgres.
> All the application logic was coded in stored procedures...
>
> The major problem I was faced to, was to port procedures returning
multiple
> result-sets...

At least, this isnt a problem anymore :-)

Regards
Tino

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Date:
On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 11:56 +0100, Patrick FICHE wrote:
> I'm afraid this is still a problem.
> From my knowledge, Postgres function is able to return a single result-set
> not multiple.
> I may have missed some facility...

<rtfm_please> see
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/SetReturningFunctions
<rtfm_please> or
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/xfunc-sql.html#AEN28835

(fresh from freenode irc #postgresql channel)

Or is it not what you mean?

Regards
Tino

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Adam Witney
Date:
It has been able to do this for some time now... Take a look

33.4.4. SQL Functions Returning Sets

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/xfunc-sql.html

> I'm afraid this is still a problem.
> From my knowledge, Postgres function is able to return a single result-set
> not multiple.
> I may have missed some facility...
>
> Regards,
> Patrick
> ---------------
> Patrick Fiche
> email : patrick.fiche@aqsacom.com
> tél : 01 69 29 36 18
> ---------------

believed to be clean.

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Patrick FICHE
Date:
No, this is only one result-set.
MS SQL Server is able to return multiple result-set.

For example, one SQL Server function can return the result of the following
queries :
SELECT * FROM Table1
SELECT * FROM Table2
SELECT * FROM Table3

with Table1, Table2 and Table3 having different structures...

For example, you can navigate in the result-sets in ODBC using the
SQLMoreResults function...

That's probably not a very usual way of programming but we did it and
experienced problems for porting....

Regards,
Patrick

---------------

Date:
On Fri, 2005-01-07 at 12:17 +0100, Patrick FICHE wrote:
> No, this is only one result-set.
> MS SQL Server is able to return multiple result-set.
>
> For example, one SQL Server function can return the result of the following
> queries :
> SELECT * FROM Table1
> SELECT * FROM Table2
> SELECT * FROM Table3
>
> with Table1, Table2 and Table3 having different structures...
>
> For example, you can navigate in the result-sets in ODBC using the
> SQLMoreResults function...

I wonder how this fits into the SQL standard by any way ;)
Nevertheless you should be able to return 3 cursors you
define in your stored function and use them afterwards.

Regards
Tino

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Geoffrey
Date:
Craig Bryden wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a very experienced MS-SQL developer. I am looking to port a
> database to PostgreSQL. Which books that are available would be ideal
> for someone who is already an experienced DB developer?

If you are experienced, I'd say you'd save yourself some cash and be
perfectly fine using the online docs.  I'll assume you'll be on a wintel
arch, based on your experience.  When you install Postgresql on a Linux
box, you get all the docs installed as well.  I don't know about the
windows install.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Craig Bryden wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> I am having some problems porting my Stored Procedures. I am using the
> pl/pgsql language. Instead of irritating/spamming everyone on this
> mailing list, I was hoping that there would be a comprehensive book
> that focusses on how to do DB things in PostgreSQL, but that does not
> spend too much time explaining RDBMS basics.

Although I "really", "really" do appreciate what you say above these
lists are specifically for helping people with the problems they are having.
It is great that you are willing to read the docs first
(more people should) but as you an experienced developed I would assume
you are going to ask questions that make sense ;).

So please, feel free and take your best shot :)

On a general note it may be productive for you to look at the other
procedural languages as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks
> Craig
>
>> From: Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>
>> To: Craig Bryden <brydencraig@hotmail.com>
>> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Books for experienced DB developer
>> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 02:58:29 -0700
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:33:52AM +0200, Craig Bryden wrote:
>>
>> > I am a very experienced MS-SQL developer. I am looking to port a
>> database
>> > to PostgreSQL. Which books that are available would be ideal for
>> someone
>> > who is already an experienced DB developer?
>>
>> PostgreSQL has good documentation so I'd suggest starting there.
>> If the documentation doesn't cover something you want to know then
>> please provide more info about what you're looking for.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Fuhr
>> http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

> Research SA schools and varsities on MSN Search. http://search.msn.co.za

PostgreSQL Deployment

From
"Hong Ji"
Date:
Hi
I am new to PostgreSQL and interested in using PostgreSQL in our
application.
But I have questions regarding what our users have to do to install the
software.

I can not find documentation on how to deploy application which uses
PostgreSQL.

Or does the user have to run separate setup (beside our application's setup
program) to just install PostgreSQL as server?

Thanks.

Hong

Re: PostgreSQL Deployment

From
Lonni J Friedman
Date:
Which OS are you planning to use?  There are pre-built RPMs for Linux,
and pre-compiled binaries for Windows.

L. Friedman                                    netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com
Date:
I installed pgadminIII and really enjoy their built in documentation reader
for PostgreSQL.  The documentation that came with pgadminIII had been
updated for the new version 8 features.

Rick

                      Geoffrey

                      <esoteric@3times25.net>        To:       pgsql-general@postgresql.org

                      Sent by:                       cc:

                      pgsql-general-owner@pos        Subject:  Re: [GENERAL] Books for experienced DB developer

                      tgresql.org

                      01/07/2005 08:58 AM

Craig Bryden wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a very experienced MS-SQL developer. I am looking to port a
> database to PostgreSQL. Which books that are available would be ideal
> for someone who is already an experienced DB developer?

If you are experienced, I'd say you'd save yourself some cash and be
perfectly fine using the online docs.  I'll assume you'll be on a wintel
arch, based on your experience.  When you install Postgresql on a Linux
box, you get all the docs installed as well.  I don't know about the
windows install.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PostgreSQL Deployment

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 06:31:35AM -0800, Hong Ji wrote:
> Hi
> I am new to PostgreSQL and interested in using PostgreSQL in our
> application.
> But I have questions regarding what our users have to do to install the
> software.
>
> I can not find documentation on how to deploy application which uses
> PostgreSQL.
>
> Or does the user have to run separate setup (beside our application's setup
> program) to just install PostgreSQL as server?

We bundle an installation of PostgreSQL in the same tarball as our
application (installed within our applications directory structure and
built to run on a different port by default, so that it doesn't clash
with a native postgresql, if any). As part of our install script we
run initdb, createuser etc., exactly as explained in the standard
postgresql install docs.

That works for us, as the application is usually running on a machine
that's mostly dedicated to it. More usually as a user I'd usually
prefer the option of using an already installed postgresql instance if
one were available.

Cheers,
  Steve

Date:
On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 12:20:13PM +0100, Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Nevertheless you should be able to return 3 cursors you
> define in your stored function and use them afterwards.

A function can also return SETOF RECORD.  However, a query calling
such a function would need to provide a column definition list, so
the query must know in advance what record type the function will
return.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: Books for experienced DB developer

From
"Sim Zacks"
Date:
Tino,

Multiple recordsets means returning multiple setof results, not just one.
As an example in a SQL Server Stored Procedure you can have the following in
the same stored procedure:
create proc getdata as
select * from table1
select * from table2
go
and it will return 2 resultsets. This is not possible in postgresql today.