Re: Books for experienced DB developer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Books for experienced DB developer
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Bryden wrote:

> Hi Michael
>
> I am having some problems porting my Stored Procedures. I am using the
> pl/pgsql language. Instead of irritating/spamming everyone on this
> mailing list, I was hoping that there would be a comprehensive book
> that focusses on how to do DB things in PostgreSQL, but that does not
> spend too much time explaining RDBMS basics.

Although I "really", "really" do appreciate what you say above these
lists are specifically for helping people with the problems they are having.
It is great that you are willing to read the docs first
(more people should) but as you an experienced developed I would assume
you are going to ask questions that make sense ;).

So please, feel free and take your best shot :)

On a general note it may be productive for you to look at the other
procedural languages as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks
> Craig
>
>> From: Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>
>> To: Craig Bryden <brydencraig@hotmail.com>
>> CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>> Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Books for experienced DB developer
>> Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 02:58:29 -0700
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 07, 2005 at 11:33:52AM +0200, Craig Bryden wrote:
>>
>> > I am a very experienced MS-SQL developer. I am looking to port a
>> database
>> > to PostgreSQL. Which books that are available would be ideal for
>> someone
>> > who is already an experienced DB developer?
>>
>> PostgreSQL has good documentation so I'd suggest starting there.
>> If the documentation doesn't cover something you want to know then
>> please provide more info about what you're looking for.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Fuhr
>> http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

> Research SA schools and varsities on MSN Search. http://search.msn.co.za