DBD::PgSPI 0.02

From
alex@pilosoft.com
Date:
Hello,

A short note that I've updated DBD::PgSPI version 0.02 to CPAN.

There are no new features - but the code now expects (and works with)
reasonably decent versions of perl (5.8.x) and pgsql (8.x).

No warranty is given, this code compiles and 'scratches my itch'. If it
happens to scratch yours, more the merrier.

-alex

Re: [HACKERS] DBD::PgSPI 0.02

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 12:27:18AM -0500, alex@pilosoft.com wrote:

> A short note that I've updated DBD::PgSPI version 0.02 to CPAN.
>
> There are no new features - but the code now expects (and works with)
> reasonably decent versions of perl (5.8.x) and pgsql (8.x).

Using PostgreSQL 8.0.0rc1 and Perl 5.8.6 on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE and
Solaris 9, I had to make a couple of changes to get DBD::PgSPI to
build:

1. Add -I$POSTGRES_HOME/include/server to Makefile.PL.  Otherwise
the build fails with:

  In file included from PgSPI.xs:14:
  PgSPI.h:16:22: postgres.h: No such file or directory
  PgSPI.h:17:21: funcapi.h: No such file or directory
  PgSPI.h:18:26: executor/spi.h: No such file or directory

2. Remove or comment out #include "ppport.h" from PgSPI.h.  Neither
of my systems have this file and the module builds without it.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: [HACKERS] DBD::PgSPI 0.02

From
alex@pilosoft.com
Date:
On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Michael Fuhr wrote:

> Using PostgreSQL 8.0.0rc1 and Perl 5.8.6 on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE and
> Solaris 9, I had to make a couple of changes to get DBD::PgSPI to
> build:
>
> 1. Add -I$POSTGRES_HOME/include/server to Makefile.PL.  Otherwise
> the build fails with:
You should point POSTGRES_HOME to "src" directory of your pgsql tree.

>   In file included from PgSPI.xs:14:
>   PgSPI.h:16:22: postgres.h: No such file or directory
>   PgSPI.h:17:21: funcapi.h: No such file or directory
>   PgSPI.h:18:26: executor/spi.h: No such file or directory
>
> 2. Remove or comment out #include "ppport.h" from PgSPI.h.  Neither of
> my systems have this file and the module builds without it.
Strange that 'make tardist' didn't include it. I'm not sure if its even
required or not to have backward compatibility (to perl 5.4 for example)
or not. Or whether I even care about backward compatibility. I'll remove
it in next release, I suppose.

-alex

Re: [HACKERS] DBD::PgSPI 0.02

From
Michael Fuhr
Date:
On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 01:38:27AM -0500, alex@pilosoft.com wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, Michael Fuhr wrote:
>
> > Using PostgreSQL 8.0.0rc1 and Perl 5.8.6 on FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE and
> > Solaris 9, I had to make a couple of changes to get DBD::PgSPI to
> > build:
> >
> > 1. Add -I$POSTGRES_HOME/include/server to Makefile.PL.  Otherwise
> > the build fails with:
>
> You should point POSTGRES_HOME to "src" directory of your pgsql tree.

Why should the module need the PostgreSQL source code?  It builds
fine using the headers under the PostgreSQL install directory (e.g.,
/usr/local/pgsql/include), at least with 8.0.0rc1.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/

Re: [HACKERS] DBD::PgSPI 0.02

From
Mike Rylander
Date:
On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 00:27:18 -0500 (EST), alex@pilosoft.com
<alex@pilosoft.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> A short note that I've updated DBD::PgSPI version 0.02 to CPAN.
>
> There are no new features - but the code now expects (and works with)
> reasonably decent versions of perl (5.8.x) and pgsql (8.x).

Just so that you have some info, I've been using DBD::PgSPI with Pg
8.0 since beta 1.  The only restriction I've run into with the old
code is that it doesn't like the DBD 'do' method.  I have to use
execute/fetchX or selectX, but other than that it seems to work.  I'll
be grabbing the update to test soon.

> No warranty is given, this code compiles and 'scratches my itch'. If it
> happens to scratch yours, more the merrier.

Thanks for scratching your itch!  I'm sure you're merrie than you know. :)

> -alex

Mike Rylander
mrylander@gmail.com
GPLS -- PINES Development