Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0

From
elein
Date:
What is the current wisdom on setting the fsm variables
for 8.0?  How is it different from 7.4?  Or is it?

I am assuming these are the values that changed with
Jan's changes.  If not what were those variables?

(I can't seem to track down the threads on these things.)

--elein
elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com

          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0

Date:
elein <elein@varlena.com> writes:
> What is the current wisdom on setting the fsm variables
> for 8.0?  How is it different from 7.4?  Or is it?

Same as before.

> I am assuming these are the values that changed with
> Jan's changes.  If not what were those variables?

No, I can't think of any 8.0 changes that would influence how you set
FSM size.  There's been some speculation that with the new ARC code,
it might be worth increasing shared_buffers to larger values than were
useful before.  I haven't seen any experiments to back that up though.

There are also some brand-new GUC variables that you can twiddle to
influence the background writer's behavior; and the existence of the
bgwriter might affect your thinking about how often checkpoints need
to occur.

pgsql-performance would probably be the most appropriate venue if you
want to discuss this more.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0

From
Chris Browne
Date:
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:

> elein <elein@varlena.com> writes:
>> What is the current wisdom on setting the fsm variables
>> for 8.0?  How is it different from 7.4?  Or is it?
>
> Same as before.
>
>> I am assuming these are the values that changed with Jan's changes.
>> If not what were those variables?
>
> No, I can't think of any 8.0 changes that would influence how you
> set FSM size.  There's been some speculation that with the new ARC
> code, it might be worth increasing shared_buffers to larger values
> than were useful before.  I haven't seen any experiments to back
> that up though.

It's also likely that you should expect to get better effectiveness
even out of smaller amounts of shared buffers, because they won't get
"trashed" by vacuums the way they used to be.  Well, overall, the
removal of ways of "trashing" cache should make it more effective at
all sorts of sizes.  But I digress...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html