Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0
Date
List pgsql-general
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:

> elein <elein@varlena.com> writes:
>> What is the current wisdom on setting the fsm variables
>> for 8.0?  How is it different from 7.4?  Or is it?
>
> Same as before.
>
>> I am assuming these are the values that changed with Jan's changes.
>> If not what were those variables?
>
> No, I can't think of any 8.0 changes that would influence how you
> set FSM size.  There's been some speculation that with the new ARC
> code, it might be worth increasing shared_buffers to larger values
> than were useful before.  I haven't seen any experiments to back
> that up though.

It's also likely that you should expect to get better effectiveness
even out of smaller amounts of shared buffers, because they won't get
"trashed" by vacuums the way they used to be.  Well, overall, the
removal of ways of "trashing" cache should make it more effective at
all sorts of sizes.  But I digress...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html