Re: install problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Frankel
Subject Re: install problem
Date
List pgsql-general
If I understand your description of the problem sufficiently, I believe
you're
running into trouble at the "su postres" step.

Although I'm quite new to postgres, I do know that creating a user
account
named "postgres" is recommended, if not required, by the installation
process.
Entering "su postgres" on the cmd-line switches the user (su) in that
shell to
username: postgres -- it's not invoking a program, per se.  Then
logging in,
even via su, requires password authentication.

Hope this helps -
Scott