Re: install problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bernard Clement
Subject Re: install problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Dear Wayne,

Hum! you are not following exactly the instructions for a "Short Installation"
which is:
./configure
gmake
su
gmake install
adduser postgres
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su - postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data >logfile 2>&1 &
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql test

Anyway, what did you enter after "useradd"?
That command requires at least one parameter, the new user name
which in this case should be postgres.

Once that is done, the "su postgres" will work without any password since
you are running it from root.

Regards,

Bernard