install problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From wayne schlemitz
Subject install problem
Date
Re: install problem  (Scott Frankel <leknarf@pacbell.net>)
Re: install problem  (Bernard Clement <bernard@info-electronics.com>)
List pgsql-general
I am using SuSE 8.0 Professional Linux  and installing
postresql 7.4 by placing the tar files in /temp and
untar and unzip and followed the short install
procedure.
Log in as root
./ configure
gmake
gmake install
useradd
mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
chown postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
su postgres
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
""same as above"" >logfile 2>&1 &

At this point I checked the last 2 lines to enter and
was told I do not have the password for the postges
sence it is not a person but a program it should not
ask for the password. Have not had sucess to call up
the program or to finish the last 2 lines.
  /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb test
  /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pgsql test

What can I do to finish the last 2 lines and call up
the potgres or pgsql?