Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Current wisdom wrt fsm on 8.0
Date
List pgsql-general
elein <elein@varlena.com> writes:
> What is the current wisdom on setting the fsm variables
> for 8.0?  How is it different from 7.4?  Or is it?

Same as before.

> I am assuming these are the values that changed with
> Jan's changes.  If not what were those variables?

No, I can't think of any 8.0 changes that would influence how you set
FSM size.  There's been some speculation that with the new ARC code,
it might be worth increasing shared_buffers to larger values than were
useful before.  I haven't seen any experiments to back that up though.

There are also some brand-new GUC variables that you can twiddle to
influence the background writer's behavior; and the existence of the
bgwriter might affect your thinking about how often checkpoints need
to occur.

pgsql-performance would probably be the most appropriate venue if you
want to discuss this more.

            regards, tom lane