FYI, Sybase performance study on Linux

From
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Date:
For those of you interested in benchmark studies and other DB vendor's
marketing hype.

http://www.sybase.com/content/1031301/IA64_Benchmark_wp.pdf

Unfortunately it doesn't compare Sybase to any other DB. I was
interested in the way this point however:

"For testing purposes, we increased the number of ASE engines – which
typically correspond to the number of machine CPUs. Each CPU is fully
utilized by one engine. ASE posted record throughout performance, achieving:
- 150,110 transactions per minute using four ASE engines
- 125,860 transactions per minute using three ASE engines
- 89,696 transactions per minute using two ASE engines
- 51,809 transactions per minute using one ASE engine"

Doesn't Postgres scale more 'linearly' than this as the number of CPU's
is increased?

As an aside, Sybase is now giving away development licenses for free on
Linux:

http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo

Cheers,

Jc

Re: FYI, Sybase performance study on Linux

From
Andrew Rawnsley
Date:
Sybase has had an unencumbered (and unsupported) for development or
production use version on  linux for some
time now...can't remember what version exactly, it was a version or two
behind what was current.

On Sep 8, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> For those of you interested in benchmark studies and other DB vendor's
> marketing hype.
>
> http://www.sybase.com/content/1031301/IA64_Benchmark_wp.pdf
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't compare Sybase to any other DB. I was
> interested in the way this point however:
>
> "For testing purposes, we increased the number of ASE engines – which
> typically correspond to the number of machine CPUs. Each CPU is fully
> utilized by one engine. ASE posted record throughout performance,
> achieving:
> - 150,110 transactions per minute using four ASE engines
> - 125,860 transactions per minute using three ASE engines
> - 89,696 transactions per minute using two ASE engines
> - 51,809 transactions per minute using one ASE engine"
>
> Doesn't Postgres scale more 'linearly' than this as the number of CPU's
> is increased?
>
> As an aside, Sybase is now giving away development licenses for free on
> Linux:
>
> http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jc

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com