FYI, Sybase performance study on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jean-Christian Imbeault
Subject FYI, Sybase performance study on Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
For those of you interested in benchmark studies and other DB vendor's
marketing hype.

http://www.sybase.com/content/1031301/IA64_Benchmark_wp.pdf

Unfortunately it doesn't compare Sybase to any other DB. I was
interested in the way this point however:

"For testing purposes, we increased the number of ASE engines – which
typically correspond to the number of machine CPUs. Each CPU is fully
utilized by one engine. ASE posted record throughout performance, achieving:
- 150,110 transactions per minute using four ASE engines
- 125,860 transactions per minute using three ASE engines
- 89,696 transactions per minute using two ASE engines
- 51,809 transactions per minute using one ASE engine"

Doesn't Postgres scale more 'linearly' than this as the number of CPU's
is increased?

As an aside, Sybase is now giving away development licenses for free on
Linux:

http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo

Cheers,

Jc