Re: FYI, Sybase performance study on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Rawnsley
Subject Re: FYI, Sybase performance study on Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
Sybase has had an unencumbered (and unsupported) for development or
production use version on  linux for some
time now...can't remember what version exactly, it was a version or two
behind what was current.

On Sep 8, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> For those of you interested in benchmark studies and other DB vendor's
> marketing hype.
>
> http://www.sybase.com/content/1031301/IA64_Benchmark_wp.pdf
>
> Unfortunately it doesn't compare Sybase to any other DB. I was
> interested in the way this point however:
>
> "For testing purposes, we increased the number of ASE engines – which
> typically correspond to the number of machine CPUs. Each CPU is fully
> utilized by one engine. ASE posted record throughout performance,
> achieving:
> - 150,110 transactions per minute using four ASE engines
> - 125,860 transactions per minute using three ASE engines
> - 89,696 transactions per minute using two ASE engines
> - 51,809 transactions per minute using one ASE engine"
>
> Doesn't Postgres scale more 'linearly' than this as the number of CPU's
> is increased?
>
> As an aside, Sybase is now giving away development licenses for free on
> Linux:
>
> http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jc

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Andrew Rawnsley
President
The Ravensfield Digital Resource Group, Ltd.
(740) 587-0114
www.ravensfield.com