Latitude/Longitude data types and functions

From
CSN
Date:
I looked through the docs and contrib, but didn't see
anything related to storing and using latitude and
longitude values. I have data in the form of 12� 34'
N, 12� 34' W.

Would any of the geometric data types work well for
this type of data? Or just convert them to decimals?
Are there any functions for converting lat/long
to/from decimals/DDMMSS NSEW?

Thanks

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: Latitude/Longitude data types and functions

Date:
Didn't /contrib/earthdistance help?

CSN wrote:
> I looked through the docs and contrib, but didn't see
> anything related to storing and using latitude and
> longitude values. I have data in the form of 12� 34'
> N, 12� 34' W.
>
> Would any of the geometric data types work well for
> this type of data? Or just convert them to decimals?
> Are there any functions for converting lat/long
> to/from decimals/DDMMSS NSEW?
>
> Thanks

> http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

Re: make install (in contrib) and PGDATA

From
CSN
Date:
Ah, that should work.

The README for contrib/cube states:

To install the type, run
        make
        make install

For this to work, make sure that:
. the cube source directory is in the postgres contrib
directory
. the user running "make install" has postgres
administrative authority
. this user's environment defines the PGLIB and PGDATA
variables and has
  postgres binaries in the PATH.

So I did:
$ export PGLIB=/usr/lib/pgsql
$ export PGDATA=/var/lib/pgsql/data
$ make
$ make install
mkdir /usr/share/pgsql/contrib
make: *** [installdirs] Error 1

$ pg_config --configure
'--prefix=/usr' '--datadir=/usr/share/pgsql'
'--libdir=/usr/lib/pgsql'
'--includedir=/usr/include/pgsql'

Is PGLIB and/or PGDATA ignored? What should I do so
'make install' works?

Thanks,
CSN

Date:
CSN <cool_screen_name90001@yahoo.com> writes:
> I looked through the docs and contrib, but didn't see
> anything related to storing and using latitude and
> longitude values.

I think you want to look at the PostGis project:
http://postgis.refractions.net

            regards, tom lane

Re: make install (in contrib) and PGDATA

From
Peter Eisentraut
CSN wrote:
> For this to work, make sure that:
> . the cube source directory is in the postgres contrib
> directory
> . the user running "make install" has postgres
> administrative authority
> . this user's environment defines the PGLIB and PGDATA
> variables and has
>   postgres binaries in the PATH.

These installation instructions are completely bogus.  The new text that
I just committed reads:

The user running "make install" may need root access; depending on how
you configured the PostgreSQL installation paths.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Latitude/Longitude data types and functions

From
Janko Richter
CSN wrote:
> I looked through the docs and contrib, but didn't see
> anything related to storing and using latitude and
> longitude values. I have data in the form of 12° 34'
> N, 12° 34' W.
>
> Would any of the geometric data types work well for
> this type of data? Or just convert them to decimals?
> Are there any functions for converting lat/long
> to/from decimals/DDMMSS NSEW?
>
> Thanks

Have a look at pgSphere
   http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgsphere/projdisplay.php

It has no release yet, but I want to do it this summer.
Check it out and send me possible bug reports.

Regards,
   Janko Richter

Re: Latitude/Longitude data types and functions

From
Andrew Ayers
Date:
Janko Richter wrote:
> CSN wrote:
>
>> I looked through the docs and contrib, but didn't see
>> anything related to storing and using latitude and
>> longitude values. I have data in the form of 12° 34'
>> N, 12° 34' W.
>>
>> Would any of the geometric data types work well for
>> this type of data? Or just convert them to decimals?
>> Are there any functions for converting lat/long
>> to/from decimals/DDMMSS NSEW?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Have a look at pgSphere
>   http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgsphere/projdisplay.php
>
> It has no release yet, but I want to do it this summer.
> Check it out and send me possible bug reports.

pgSphere looks interesting, for spherical coordinate systems. Does
anyone know of a similar module or project for cartesian coordinate systems?

Andrew Ayers
Phoenix, Arizona

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.

Re: Latitude/Longitude data types and functions

From
Paul Ramsey
Date:
Andrew Ayers wrote:

>>Have a look at pgSphere
>>  http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgsphere/projdisplay.php
>>
>>It has no release yet, but I want to do it this summer.
>>Check it out and send me possible bug reports.
>
> pgSphere looks interesting, for spherical coordinate systems. Does
> anyone know of a similar module or project for cartesian coordinate systems?

Sure, PostGIS: http://postgis.refractions.net

Paul