Re: Latitude/Longitude data types and functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Ayers
Subject Re: Latitude/Longitude data types and functions
Date
List pgsql-general
Janko Richter wrote:
> CSN wrote:
>
>> I looked through the docs and contrib, but didn't see
>> anything related to storing and using latitude and
>> longitude values. I have data in the form of 12° 34'
>> N, 12° 34' W.
>>
>> Would any of the geometric data types work well for
>> this type of data? Or just convert them to decimals?
>> Are there any functions for converting lat/long
>> to/from decimals/DDMMSS NSEW?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Have a look at pgSphere
>   http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/pgsphere/projdisplay.php
>
> It has no release yet, but I want to do it this summer.
> Check it out and send me possible bug reports.

pgSphere looks interesting, for spherical coordinate systems. Does
anyone know of a similar module or project for cartesian coordinate systems?

Andrew Ayers
Phoenix, Arizona

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

This message is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain
informationthat is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intendedaddressee, nor authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use,
copy,disclose or distribute to anyone the message or any information contained in the message. If you have received
thismessage in error, please immediately advise the sender by reply email, and delete the message. Thank you.