How to add an userA to login postgresadmin

From
Stephen Liu
Date:
Hi folks,

RH8.0
postgresql-7.4.3.tar.gz

I have postgresql-7.4.3 installed

$ whereis pgsql
pgsql: /usr/local/pgsql

and have created "postgresadmin" for root
# adduser postgresadmin

root can su postgresadmin without password

Now I expect to add 'userA' to login as postgresadmin
with a password

Can I perform following step to reach my goal;

# adduser userA postgresadmin passwd xxx

Kindly advise.  TIA

B.R
Stephen

Re: How to add an userA to login postgresadmin

From
joseph speigle
Date:
stephen,
try adding the user like you normally would.  Did you know the system users and database users are not necessarily the
sameperson?  With that in mind, after adding the user, create an alias in .bashrc like
alias psql='/usr/local/psql -U postgresadmin -d my_db_name'
Furthermore, in /home/username (that is, that user's ~ home directory) you can put a .pgpass file which contains the
passwordfor postgresadmin
HOWEVER, it would have been simpler to simply use the 'postgres' system account as it is the universal default

On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 07:56:09PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> RH8.0
> postgresql-7.4.3.tar.gz
>
> I have postgresql-7.4.3 installed
>
> $ whereis pgsql
> pgsql: /usr/local/pgsql
>
> and have created "postgresadmin" for root
> # adduser postgresadmin
>
> root can su postgresadmin without password
>
> Now I expect to add 'userA' to login as postgresadmin
> with a password
>
> Can I perform following step to reach my goal;
>
> # adduser userA postgresadmin passwd xxx
>
> Kindly advise.  TIA
>
> B.R
> Stephen

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: How to add an userA to login postgresadmin

From
Stephen Liu
Date:
Hi joseph,

Tks for your advice.

- snip -

> after adding the user, create an alias in .bashrc
> like
> alias psql='/usr/local/psql -U postgresadmin -d
> my_db_name'
> Furthermore, in /home/username (that is, that user's
> ~ home directory) you can put a .pgpass file which
> contains the password for postgresadmin

I am prepared to allow useA to su 'postgresadmin'.  I
don't want to give userA the 'root password' so that
he can su 'root' and then su 'postgresadmin'

I performed following steps;

# touch /home/satimis/.pgpass
# pico /home/satimis/.pgpass
adding 'abc' as passwd

cat /home/postgresadmin/.bashrc
# .bashrc
# User specific aliases and functions
# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
        . /etc/bashrc
fi

Whether adding following line after 'fi'
alias psql='/usr/local/psql -U postgresadmin -d
my_db_name'

kindly advise.

Beside what shall I type for 'my_db_name”

> HOWEVER, it would have been simpler to simply use
> the 'postgres' system account as it is the universal
> default

Noted with thanks

TIA

B.R.