Re: How to add an userA to login postgresadmin - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Liu
Subject Re: How to add an userA to login postgresadmin
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi joseph,

Tks for your advice.

- snip -

> after adding the user, create an alias in .bashrc
> like
> alias psql='/usr/local/psql -U postgresadmin -d
> my_db_name'
> Furthermore, in /home/username (that is, that user's
> ~ home directory) you can put a .pgpass file which
> contains the password for postgresadmin

I am prepared to allow useA to su 'postgresadmin'.  I
don't want to give userA the 'root password' so that
he can su 'root' and then su 'postgresadmin'

I performed following steps;

# touch /home/satimis/.pgpass
# pico /home/satimis/.pgpass
adding 'abc' as passwd

cat /home/postgresadmin/.bashrc
# .bashrc
# User specific aliases and functions
# Source global definitions
if [ -f /etc/bashrc ]; then
        . /etc/bashrc
fi

Whether adding following line after 'fi'
alias psql='/usr/local/psql -U postgresadmin -d
my_db_name'

kindly advise.

Beside what shall I type for 'my_db_name”

> HOWEVER, it would have been simpler to simply use
> the 'postgres' system account as it is the universal
> default

Noted with thanks

TIA

B.R.