Are Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs available for SuSE 9.0 ?

From
"Gellert, Andre"
Date:
Hi everybody,
currenty we use Suse Linux 9 and the rpms with 7.4.0 downloaded from
ftp://ftp.gmd.de/mirrors2/suse/ftp.suse.com/people/max/postgresql-7.4/ .

I don't know how to contact the person who build this rpms ,
and i cannot find other resources on the web, so does anyone
know a place to get Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs for SuSE 9.0 ?

Compiling them myself would be easy on test machines, but our
server adminstration must get RPMs .

Bye Andre

Re: Are Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs available for SuSE 9.0 ?

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Thursday 04 March 2004 10:34, Gellert, Andre wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> currenty we use Suse Linux 9 and the rpms with 7.4.0 downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.gmd.de/mirrors2/suse/ftp.suse.com/people/max/postgresql-7.4/ .
>
> I don't know how to contact the person who build this rpms ,
> and i cannot find other resources on the web, so does anyone
> know a place to get Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs for SuSE 9.0 ?

Try the following to see who built the original.
  rpm -qi postgresql
From the URL you posted though, I'd guess you're looking for someone called
Max who works for SuSE

> Compiling them myself would be easy on test machines, but our
> server adminstration must get RPMs .

If all else fails, you might be able to take the source RPMs for RedHat and
adapt those.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Are Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs available for SuSE 9.0 ?

From
"Gellert, Andre"
Date:
Hi Richard and all,

> Try the following to see who built the original.
>   rpm -qi postgresql
> From the URL you posted though, I'd guess you're looking for
> someone called
> Max who works for SuSE

That seems to be true. The package info is taken from the original
Redhat/SUSE rpms for other version , i guess, at least there is no contact
email.

> If all else fails, you might be able to take the source RPMs
> for RedHat and
> adapt those.

I try installing the same setup with 7.4.1 now and then build rpms with
"checkinstall", which looks good.

Now i have the problem, that the SuSE layout places the bin files , look at
this :

datadm@lampang:~> rpm -ql postgresql
/usr/bin/clusterdb
/usr/bin/createdb
/usr/bin/createlang
/usr/bin/createuser
/usr/bin/dropdb
/usr/bin/droplang
/usr/bin/dropuser
/usr/bin/pg_dump
/usr/bin/pg_dumpall
/usr/bin/pg_restore
/usr/bin/psql
/usr/bin/vacuumdb
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/COPYRIGHT
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/FAQ
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/HISTORY
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/KNOWN_BUGS
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/MISSING_FEATURES
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/README
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/README.SuSE.de
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/README.SuSE.en
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/README.mb.big5
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/README.mb.jp
/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/bug.template
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/[a-lot-of]
/usr/share/man/man1/[a-lot-of]
/usr/share/man/man7/[a-lot-of]

datadm@lampang:~> rpm -ql postgresql-server
/etc/init.d/postgresql
/etc/logrotate.d/postgresql
/usr/bin/initdb
/usr/bin/initlocation
/usr/bin/ipcclean
/usr/bin/pg_controldata
/usr/bin/pg_ctl
/usr/bin/pg_encoding
/usr/bin/pg_id
/usr/bin/pg_resetxlog
/usr/bin/postgres
/usr/bin/postmaster
/usr/lib/postgresql
/usr/lib/postgresql/ascii_and_mic.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/backup
/usr/lib/postgresql/cyrillic_and_mic.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/euc_cn_and_mic.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/euc_jp_and_sjis.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/euc_kr_and_mic.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/euc_tw_and_big5.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/latin2_and_win1250.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/latin_and_mic.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/plpgsql.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_ascii.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_big5.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_cyrillic.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_euc_cn.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_euc_jp.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_euc_kr.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_euc_tw.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_gb18030.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_gbk.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_iso8859.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_iso8859_1.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_johab.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_sjis.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_tcvn.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_uhc.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_win1250.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_win1256.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/utf8_and_win874.so
/usr/sbin/rcpostgresql
/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/es/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/hr/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/it/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/nb/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/pt_BR/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/sv/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/zh_CN/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/locale/zh_TW/LC_MESSAGES/postgres.mo
/usr/share/man/man1/initdb.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/initlocation.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/ipcclean.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/pg_controldata.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/pg_ctl.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/pg_resetxlog.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/postgres.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/postmaster.1.gz
/usr/share/postgresql
/usr/share/postgresql/conversion_create.sql
/usr/share/postgresql/information_schema.sql
/usr/share/postgresql/pg_hba.conf.sample
/usr/share/postgresql/pg_ident.conf.sample
/usr/share/postgresql/pg_service.conf.sample
/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.bki
/usr/share/postgresql/postgres.description
/usr/share/postgresql/postgresql.conf.sample
/usr/share/postgresql/sql_features.txt
/var/adm/fillup-templates/sysconfig.postgresql
/var/lib/pgsql
/var/lib/pgsql/.bash_profile
/var/lib/pgsql/backups
/var/lib/pgsql/data

As i only have those rpms, how can i see which configure was used to get
this platform layout ?
--prefix= ,
--libdir= ,
--exec-prefix=
--bindir= /usr/bin ?
--docdir=/usr/share/doc/packages/postgresql/
--mandir=/usr/share/man/

To be less important :
--with-includes=DIRECTORIES
--with-libraries=DIRECTORIES

The packages now are named :
postgresql-7.4-0
postgresql-contrib-7.4-0
postgresql-docs-7.4-0
postgresql-libs-7.4-0
postgresql-server-7.4-0
postgresql-devel-7.4-0
postgresql-pl-7.4-0

It would be okay to get one package, but for others it may be interesting to
use my rpms, too,
so i must check how i split them up.

Date:
On Thursday 04 March 2004 12:09, Gellert, Andre wrote:
> Hi Richard and all,
>
> > Try the following to see who built the original.
> >   rpm -qi postgresql
> > From the URL you posted though, I'd guess you're looking for
> > someone called
> > Max who works for SuSE
>
> That seems to be true. The package info is taken from the original
> Redhat/SUSE rpms for other version , i guess, at least there is no contact
> email.
>
> > If all else fails, you might be able to take the source RPMs
> > for RedHat and
> > adapt those.
>
> I try installing the same setup with 7.4.1 now and then build rpms with
> "checkinstall", which looks good.
>
> Now i have the problem, that the SuSE layout places the bin files , look at
> this :

Hmm - could you get the source RPM for the old SuSE version and compare the
settings in that vs the RedHat version.

PS - I should warn you that 7.4.2 is going to be released very soon, so if you
can wait a week or two you could do this with the RPMs for that.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: Are Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs available for SuSE 9.0 ?

Date:
"Gellert, Andre" <AGellert@ElectronicPartner.de> writes:
> As i only have those rpms, how can i see which configure was used to get
> this platform layout ?

pg_config --configure, or extract the spec file from the RPM and look at
its build rule.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Are Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs available for SuSE 9.0 ?

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Thursday 04 March 2004 05:34 am, Gellert, Andre wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> currenty we use Suse Linux 9 and the rpms with 7.4.0 downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.gmd.de/mirrors2/suse/ftp.suse.com/people/max/postgresql-7.4/ .

> I don't know how to contact the person who build this rpms ,
> and i cannot find other resources on the web, so does anyone
> know a place to get Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs for SuSE 9.0 ?

> Compiling them myself would be easy on test machines, but our
> server adminstration must get RPMs .

The person is Reinhard Max.  The SuSE RPMs are considerably different from the
RPMs that I produce; my RPMs are pretty well inoperable on SuSE.  You would
need to get the SuSE 9.0 7.4 SOURCE RPM, edit its spec file for 7.4.1, and
rebuild it using the 7.4.1 tarball.  Then you can install those binary RPMS.
I have no SuSE machines on which to build, so I am unable to do so.  The
contact e-mail is in the source RPM's spec file.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology

Re: Are Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs available for SuSE 9.0 ?

From
"Gellert, Andre"
Date:
Hello List,

> > I don't know how to contact the person who build this rpms ,
> > and i cannot find other resources on the web, so does anyone
> > know a place to get Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs for SuSE 9.0 ?
> The person is Reinhard Max.  The SuSE RPMs are considerably
> different from the
> RPMs that I produce; my RPMs are pretty well inoperable on
> SuSE.  You would
> need to get the SuSE 9.0 7.4 SOURCE RPM, edit its spec file
> for 7.4.1, and
> rebuild it using the 7.4.1 tarball.  Then you can install
> those binary RPMS.
> I have no SuSE machines on which to build, so I am unable to
> do so.  The
> contact e-mail is in the source RPM's spec file.

I guessed the mail adress and did write an email to this account
and I found Reinhard Max . ;-) The funny aspect is, that he was just
building the packages so I could through away the packages I build before.

2 Hours later the ftp.suse.com was offering the new packages, which are
running fine, here.

Thanx for help, at least I know now how to build RPMs , which are "nearly"
working ;-)

Andre

Re: Are Postgres 7.4.1 RPMs available for SuSE 9.0 ?

From
George Essig
Date:
"Gellert, Andre" <AGellert ( at ) ElectronicPartner ( dot ) de> wrote:

> 2 Hours later the ftp.suse.com was offering the new packages, which are
> running fine, here.

I searched the ftp site for the rpms.  The actual link is below.

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/max/postgresql-7.4.1

Note: The README file says:

Please notice, that the packages provided here are not
official update packages for SuSE Linux. They are provided
for those who want to use newer versions of PostgreSQL,
and Tcl on older versions of SuSE Linux, or for testing
purposes.

Use them with care, and at your own risk!

Feedback welcome!

George