Excel, OpenOffice and Postgres

From
"Bob Powell"
Hello everyone:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect excel or openoffice via
odbc directly to a postgres backend database.

Also, if that is possible does either OpenOffice or Excel support SQL
queries to said database?

Bob Powell

Re: Excel, OpenOffice and Postgres

From
javier garcia - CEBAS
Date:
Hello Bob;
Some time ago I were using Postrges along with Excel via Microsoft Query and
ODBC. I just remember that there was a problem when trying to see views but
it worked with single tables. Perhaps you can experiment with that.

Javier

El Mié 17 Dic 2003 17:01, Bob Powell escribió:
> Hello everyone:
>
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect excel or openoffice via
> odbc directly to a postgres backend database.
>
> Also, if that is possible does either OpenOffice or Excel support SQL
> queries to said database?
>
> Bob Powell

Re: Excel, OpenOffice and Postgres

From
Sai Hertz And Control Systems
Date:
Dear Bob Powell ,

>Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect excel or openoffice via
>odbc directly to a postgres backend database.

Yes you can do this .
What you need is :
1. pgsqlODBC download it from www.postgresql.org for Windows
2.  Unix ODBC for OpenOffice in xNIX.
For windows :
1. Make an ODBC connection to your database  with required password /
host name  as
    Click on
    >START>CONTROL PANEL >  PERFORMANCE AND MAINTAINCE > ADMIN TOOLS > ODBC
Now with this ODBC connection you can View tables on OpenOffice and M$ Excel

>Also, if that is possible does either OpenOffice or Excel support SQL
>queries to said database?

Yes and more OpenOffice 1.1 alows forms for data input and report generation
Note :
 Form part I have not tested but I have seen it

Tell me If this helps
Regards,
Vishal Kashyap

Re: Excel, OpenOffice and Postgres

From
Sai Hertz And Control Systems
Date:
Hello javier garcia,
Hello Bob;
Some time ago I were using Postrges along with Excel via Microsoft Query and
ODBC. I just remember that there was a problem when trying to see views but
it worked with single tables. Perhaps you can experiment with that.
This problem can be over come by unticking the updateable cursurs in pgsqlODBC config menu
Regards Vishal Kashyap
Javier

El Mié 17 Dic 2003 17:01, Bob Powell escribió:
Hello everyone:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to connect excel or openoffice via
odbc directly to a postgres backend database.

Also, if that is possible does either OpenOffice or Excel support SQL
queries to said database?

Bob Powell

Re: Excel, OpenOffice and Postgres

From
Matthew
Date:
Try this link to OpenOffice and its postgres-sdbc-driver.

http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/postgresql/

I have Installed OO on RedHat and tested that I can connect postgres -
which it does without any dramas, but I havent done much more than that.
So I am not sure as to what the limit is on the complexity of the
queryies asked of it can be.

It doesnt connect via either odbc or jdbc, and currently it is in alpha
state, which might not be what you are after.  But it could be worth a
look at.

Cheers
Matt

Re: Excel, OpenOffice and Postgres

From
Janning Vygen
Date:
Am Donnerstag, 18. Dezember 2003 00:15 schrieb Matthew:
> Try this link to OpenOffice and its postgres-sdbc-driver.
>
> http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/postgresql/
>
> I have Installed OO on RedHat and tested that I can connect
> postgres - which it does without any dramas, but I havent done much
> more than that. So I am not sure as to what the limit is on the
> complexity of the queryies asked of it can be.
>
> It doesnt connect via either odbc or jdbc, and currently it is in
> alpha state, which might not be what you are after.  But it could
> be worth a look at.

Just to avoid a misunderstanding: You _can_ connect OpenOffice via
odbc to postgresql without any problems. you dont need a special
postgresql driver as long as you only need odbc features. It just
works!

kind regards,
janning