tablespaces in 7.5?

From
"Brian Maguire"
Date:
I am curious if tablespaces are going to be seriously targeted for the next version. It really opens up new levels of
scalabilityand is a killer feature from an administration perspective.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

Date:
Brian Maguire wrote:
> I am curious if tablespaces are going to be seriously targeted
> for the next version. It really opens up new levels of scalability
> and is a killer feature from an administration perspective.

I hope so!

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
"Keith C. Perry"
Date:
Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:

> Brian Maguire wrote:
> > I am curious if tablespaces are going to be seriously targeted
> > for the next version. It really opens up new levels of scalability
> > and is a killer feature from an administration perspective.
>
> I hope so!

Excuse my ignorance but what will namespaces give us?  I though PG schema
provided the namespace functionality- 'least the way I am understanding the term.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
"John Sidney-Woollett"
Date:
My (limited) understanding is that it will give you the ability to:

i) decide what data resides in what tablespace, (database, schema,
indexes, data [coarser -> finer grain]).
ii) where the tablespace data is physically located, allowing you to
distribute your database across disks, or disk arrays.

John Sidney-Woollett

Keith C. Perry said:
> Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:
>
>> Brian Maguire wrote:
>> > I am curious if tablespaces are going to be seriously targeted
>> > for the next version. It really opens up new levels of scalability
>> > and is a killer feature from an administration perspective.
>>
>> I hope so!
>>
>> --
>>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
>>   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
>>   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
>>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
>> 19073

>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
>>

> Excuse my ignorance but what will namespaces give us?  I though PG schema
> provided the namespace functionality- 'least the way I am understanding
> the term.
>
> --
> Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
> Director of Networks & Applications
> VCSN, Inc.
> http://vcsn.com
>
> ____________________________________
> This email account is being host by:
> VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
"Brian Maguire"
Date:
That's right it's a big one from a performance and admin perspective.  DB2, Oracle and Informix have tablespaces.  It
appearsthat it has been in the postgres crosshair for a few years now.  I'm not sure how much has been completed so
far.

Few scenarios where they are really important:

1.
     Right now a database can be as fast as one disk.  Tablespaces allow you to distribute database objects across
multiplephysical locations.  A big index or table can live on separate disks distributing the io activity.

2.
    Say you are close to running out of disk space and want to grow some of the data onto another disk.  Table spaces
allowyou to alter the table space and more easily move the big table or indexes onto a different disk rather than just
movingthe entire db to a bigger single disk.

3.
    Say there is a part of a database that you want to backup every hour, but backing up entire database is overkill.
Youcan set it up so it backs up different table spaces at different times.

4.
    Couple other features of tablespaces are that they allow you to allocate space to a specific tablespace and to take
onlypart of a database offline or online very easily.

More detail on what they are how to mange them with oracle...
http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls/software/oracle/server.901/a88856/c04space.htm

http://www.siue.edu/~dbock/cmis565/ch8-tablespaces.htm
http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/oracle/server803/A54641_01/ch8.htm

    Keith C. Perry said:
    > Quoting Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>:
    >
    >> Brian Maguire wrote:
    >> > I am curious if tablespaces are going to be seriously targeted
    >> > for the next version. It really opens up new levels of scalability
    >> > and is a killer feature from an administration perspective.
    >>
    >> I hope so!
    >>
    >> --
    >>   Bruce Momjian                        |  http://candle.pha.pa.us
    >>   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
    >>   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
    >>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
    >> 19073

    >> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
    >>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
    >>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly
    >>

    > Excuse my ignorance but what will namespaces give us?  I though PG schema
    > provided the namespace functionality- 'least the way I am understanding
    > the term.
    >
    > --
    > Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
    > Director of Networks & Applications
    > VCSN, Inc.
    > http://vcsn.com
    >
    > ____________________________________
    > This email account is being host by:
    > VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
"Keith C. Perry"
Date:
Quoting Brian Maguire <bmaguire@vantage.com>:

> That's right it's a big one from a performance and admin perspective.  DB2,
> Oracle and Informix have tablespaces.  It appears that it has been in the
> postgres crosshair for a few years now.  I'm not sure how much has been
> completed so far.
>

> Few scenarios where they are really important:
>
> 1.
>      Right now a database can be as fast as one disk.  Tablespaces allow you to
> distribute database objects across multiple physical locations.  A big index
> or table can live on separate disks distributing the io activity.
>
> 2.
>     Say you are close to running out of disk space and want to grow some of the
> data onto another disk.  Table spaces allow you to alter the table space and
> more easily move the big table or indexes onto a different disk rather than
> just moving the entire db to a bigger single disk.
>
> 3.
>     Say there is a part of a database that you want to backup every hour, but
> backing up entire database is overkill.  You can set it up so it backs up
> different table spaces at different times.
>
> 4.
>     Couple other features of tablespaces are that they allow you to allocate
> space to a specific tablespace and to take only part of a database offline or
> online very easily.
>

> More detail on what they are how to mange them with oracle...
> http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/wls/software/oracle/server.901/a88856/c04space.htm
>
> http://www.siue.edu/~dbock/cmis565/ch8-tablespaces.htm
> http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/doc/oracle/server803/A54641_01/ch8.htm

Ok, thats for the response.  I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space (or
namespace is simply the generic term).  I can see some definite benefits
especially with disk i/o throughput though I thought database partitioning (I
think that is what its called) would provide the same thing.

This actually sounds like system that might fit well on a Plan 9 OS.

Anyway, thanks to all for the explanations.

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com

____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
Mike Nolan
Date:
> Ok, thats for the response.  I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space (or
> namespace is simply the generic term).  I can see some definite benefits
> especially with disk i/o throughput though I thought database partitioning (I
> think that is what its called) would provide the same thing.

I could be wrong, but I think 'namespace' is an existing concept in
PG that is a way of organizing objects into logical groups.

As I recall, the group working on it decided to call it a 'directory' rather
than a 'tablespace', because of concerns that the latter word might be
proprietary to Oracle.  I've lost touch with the rest of the members in
that group, though, since the computer I was using for PG development
purposes got zapped by lightning in August.
--
Mike Nolan

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
"Keith C. Perry"
Date:
Quoting Mike Nolan <nolan@gw.tssi.com>:

> > Ok, thats for the response.  I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space
> (or
> > namespace is simply the generic term).  I can see some definite benefits
> > especially with disk i/o throughput though I thought database partitioning
> (I
> > think that is what its called) would provide the same thing.
>
> I could be wrong, but I think 'namespace' is an existing concept in
> PG that is a way of organizing objects into logical groups.
>
> As I recall, the group working on it decided to call it a 'directory' rather
>
> than a 'tablespace', because of concerns that the latter word might be
> proprietary to Oracle.  I've lost touch with the rest of the members in
> that group, though, since the computer I was using for PG development
> purposes got zapped by lightning in August.
> --
> Mike Nolan

I think that is what I was getting confused with before- schemas...

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/catalog-pg-namespace.html

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications
VCSN, Inc.
http://vcsn.com

____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
Greg Stark
Date:
"Keith C. Perry" <netadmin@vcsn.com> writes:

> Ok, thats for the response.  I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space (or
> namespace is simply the generic term).

Actually if you check back you'll notice you're the first person to say
"namespace". The original question was about "tablespaces"

--
greg

Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From
"Keith C. Perry"
Date:
Quoting Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>:

> "Keith C. Perry" <netadmin@vcsn.com> writes:
>
> > Ok, thats for the response.  I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space
> (or
> > namespace is simply the generic term).
>
> Actually if you check back you'll notice you're the first person to say
> "namespace". The original question was about "tablespaces"
>
> --
> greg

Whoa, I sure did- my apologies.  That would also explain my confusion.  Ok, so
on PG-

namespaces   = yes, via schemas
tablesspaces = forthcoming