Re: tablespaces in 7.5? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Nolan
Subject Re: tablespaces in 7.5?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Ok, thats for the response.  I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space (or
> namespace is simply the generic term).  I can see some definite benefits
> especially with disk i/o throughput though I thought database partitioning (I
> think that is what its called) would provide the same thing.

I could be wrong, but I think 'namespace' is an existing concept in
PG that is a way of organizing objects into logical groups.

As I recall, the group working on it decided to call it a 'directory' rather
than a 'tablespace', because of concerns that the latter word might be
proprietary to Oracle.  I've lost touch with the rest of the members in
that group, though, since the computer I was using for PG development
purposes got zapped by lightning in August.
--
Mike Nolan