"PostgreSQL Error Code(1)"

From
Christopher.Becker@apcc.com

When I'm running my app, I occaisonally receive this error message:

PostgreSQL Error Code(1)
"could not create socket: An address incompatible with the requested
protocol was used"

It appears to be a PostgreSQL Error, but I can't find Any documentation on
it at all in the PostgreSQL docs, or webpage.  Has anyone ever scene this
before or know what could be the cause?  Like I said it happens once in a
while, not consistently.

A little about my setup.. I've got PostgreSQL running on a linux server and
I'm connecting to it through my delphi client running on WinXP.

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

Re: "PostgreSQL Error Code(1)"

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
On Wednesday 10 December 2003 16:24, Christopher.Becker@apcc.com wrote:
> When I'm running my app, I occaisonally receive this error message:
>
> PostgreSQL Error Code(1)
> "could not create socket: An address incompatible with the requested
> protocol was used"
>
> It appears to be a PostgreSQL Error, but I can't find Any documentation on
> it at all in the PostgreSQL docs, or webpage.  Has anyone ever scene this
> before or know what could be the cause?  Like I said it happens once in a
> while, not consistently.

It could be an IPv4 vs IPv6 issue. I think PG will try IPv6 first then fall
back to IPv4 on systems that say they support 6, which many linux
distributions do. Have a look in the mailing list archives for discussion of
this.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd