Pg_dumpall problem

From
"Patrick Hatcher"
Date:
Did a pg_dumpall from my production database (7.3.2) and I tried to restore
to my Dev database (7.4).  I receive a data exception error during the
import and was stupid enough not to write it down.   Is there a log some
place I can look to see what the error was?
Also, what does one do when the dump file over 5 gigs? How can I possibly
correct whatever error is ocurring?

TIA

Patrick Hatcher

Re: Pg_dumpall problem

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Patrick Hatcher writes:

> Did a pg_dumpall from my production database (7.3.2) and I tried to restore
> to my Dev database (7.4).  I receive a data exception error during the
> import and was stupid enough not to write it down.   Is there a log some
> place I can look to see what the error was?

Depends on how you started the postmaster.  Maybe it's in syslog, maybe
it's in the log file you specified, or maybe it's in /dev/null.  Also, you
could just try again and write down the error this time.

> Also, what does one do when the dump file over 5 gigs?

There should be no problem with that.  Except of course that it is large
and slow to reload, but that you have to deal with.

> How can I possibly correct whatever error is ocurring?

Find out what the error is first. :-)

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Pg_dumpall problem

From
"Matthew Lunnon"

Did a pg_dumpall from my production database (7.3.2) and I tried to restore
to my Dev database (7.4).  I receive a data exception error during the
import and was stupid enough not to write it down.   Is there a log some
place I can look to see what the error was?
Also, what does one do when the dump file over 5 gigs? How can I possibly
correct whatever error is ocurring?
Depending what the error is sed is a wonderful tool for editing large files.

Matthew