CVS doesn't compile initdb and other binaries

From
Laurent Perez
Date:
Hello

I'm trying to compile CVS version of Postgres to get rid of the
heap_mark4update bug ; the lines I used were :

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot co -P
pgsql-server
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot co -P
pgsql

compilation lines were :

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-cvs --without-tk --without-tcl ; make
; make install
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-cvs-server --without-tk --without-tcl
; make ; make install

Whatever I do, there is no binary for initdb created in the bin/
installation directory, I only get psql & postmaster. When I try to run
them with my 7.3.2 pgdata dir, it fails, saying : FATAL:  The data
directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not
compatible with this version 7.4devel.

How am I supposed to compile all 7.4devel binaries from CVS ?

Thanks

Laurent Perez

Re: CVS doesn't compile initdb and other binaries

Date:
You can't mix binaries from different versions.  You are basically stuck
on 7.3.X until we can upgrade, or you can pull out the patch from CVS
and see if that works -- I am not sure if that is safe.

Laurent Perez wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to compile CVS version of Postgres to get rid of the
> heap_mark4update bug ; the lines I used were :
>
> cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot co -P
> pgsql-server
> cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot co -P
> pgsql
>
> compilation lines were :
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-cvs --without-tk --without-tcl ; make
> ; make install
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgsql-cvs-server --without-tk --without-tcl
> ; make ; make install
>
> Whatever I do, there is no binary for initdb created in the bin/
> installation directory, I only get psql & postmaster. When I try to run
> them with my 7.3.2 pgdata dir, it fails, saying : FATAL:  The data
> directory was initialized by PostgreSQL version 7.3, which is not
> compatible with this version 7.4devel.
>
> How am I supposed to compile all 7.4devel binaries from CVS ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Laurent Perez

Re: CVS doesn't compile initdb and other binaries

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Mon, 2003-04-14 at 23:45, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> You can't mix binaries from different versions.  You are basically stuck
> on 7.3.X until we can upgrade, or you can pull out the patch from CVS
> and see if that works -- I am not sure if that is safe.

I don't think the (original) problem is that he is trying to mix
binaries from different versions -- but that the 7.4devel build he
attempted wasn't complete. As for *why* the whole thing didn't build, I
have no idea: I rebuild my CVS HEAD checkout all the time, and it works
fine.

> Laurent Perez wrote:
> > cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot co -P
> > pgsql-server

You probably want just pgsql-server.

Cheers,

Neil

Date:
> > You can't mix binaries from different versions.  You are basically stuck
> > on 7.3.X until we can upgrade, or you can pull out the patch from CVS
> > and see if that works -- I am not sure if that is safe.

I'm not trying to mix versions, I'm only trying to compile binaries
(initdb,createdb, and others) from the CVS tree.

>  As for *why* the whole thing didn't build, I have no idea: I rebuild my
> CVS HEAD checkout all the time, and it works
>fine.

I really don't know what to do, I tried on three systems (debian,rh,slack)
and none did compile binaries except postmaster & psql. No error was shown
after make or make install.

> > > cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.postgresql.org:/projects/cvsroot
> co -P
> > > pgsql-server
>You probably want just pgsql-server.

I tried pgsql or pgsql-server both 'skip' binaries compilation.

I'm abit afraid to get a cvs fix to be applied to our 7.3.2 production box,
having troubles with that mark4update bug and also with another bug Tom
Lane helped me to fix by modifying source code : is a 7.3.3 version
scheduled in the next weeks ?

Thanks

Laurent Perez