Newsgroups/sites for SQL questions?

From
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Date:
After having gotten my DB up and running and doing what it should I am
now getting to the point where I understand my data and have some
somewhat complicated queries I would like to run against it.

Unfortunately I'm having trouble with coming up with the SQL queries
that retrieve the data I want.

Can anyone recommend some newsgroups or sites where questions on
constructing SQL queries are welcomed?

Since these would be purely SQL questions and not really related to
postgres I they don't really belong on the PG mailing list.

Thanks!

Jean-Christian Imbeault

Re: Newsgroups/sites for SQL questions?

From
Ian Barwick
Date:
On Tuesday 01 April 2003 04:01, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> After having gotten my DB up and running and doing what it should I am
> now getting to the point where I understand my data and have some
> somewhat complicated queries I would like to run against it.
>
> Unfortunately I'm having trouble with coming up with the SQL queries
> that retrieve the data I want.
>
> Can anyone recommend some newsgroups or sites where questions on
> constructing SQL queries are welcomed?

How about the the pgsql-sql list?

For newsgroups have a look at comp.databases and comp.databases.theory .

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net

Re: Newsgroups/sites for SQL questions?

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:

> After having gotten my DB up and running and doing what it should I am
> now getting to the point where I understand my data and have some
> somewhat complicated queries I would like to run against it.
>
> Unfortunately I'm having trouble with coming up with the SQL queries
> that retrieve the data I want.
>
> Can anyone recommend some newsgroups or sites where questions on
> constructing SQL queries are welcomed?
>
> Since these would be purely SQL questions and not really related to
> postgres I they don't really belong on the PG mailing list.

There are also some on the web on places like dev shed and phpbuilder.

PHPBuilder is a place where a lot of beginners go, especially MySQL
beginners using PHP.  devshed is a little more advanced, but there's still
some good novice areas too.

My other recommendation would be to pick up a good SQL / Database theory
book.  If you're getting a feel for SQL then try J Celcko's "SQL for
Smarties" and his other SQL books are pretty good too, and entertaining as
well.

And, if you just wanna read the archive of USENET past and such, you can
use groups.google.com, look for comp.databases.postgresql

Re: Newsgroups/sites for SQL questions?

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
make sure to buy the SECOND edition of Joe's books, some major errors from the
first version are fixed in the second, plus some more information.