redhat 7.1 upgrade

From
Richard Welty
Date:
anyone have any recommendations on upgrading postgresql on a redhat 7.1
system?

there are no redhat 7.1 rpms for postgresql 7.2 or 7.3. the 7.3 rpms
require a newer version of openssl, and that wants to drag in all kinds of
stuff.

it's an operational box, i am reluctant to take too many risks, but
there's nothing operational dependent on postgresql right now, so i can
take some risks there. anyone got a method that works?

note that when i eventually upgrade the redhat installation on this box, i
would like to go back to rpm installs if i have to get away from that now.

thanks,
  richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net

Re: redhat 7.1 upgrade

From
"Daniel R. Anderson"
Date:
Basically you just use pg_dumpall as the database superuser.  (See the
manual).  Then you uninstall the postgresql installation and install the
new version (it's make clean with source, not sure what the command is
with rpms).  Then you start up psql as the superuser with the new
version and use the command:

$psql -f whatever.you.named.the.pg_dumpall.file

Installing via source isn't that hard.  You just need to remember to
read the INSTALL file. :-D

-Dan

On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 23:28, Richard Welty wrote:
> anyone have any recommendations on upgrading postgresql on a redhat 7.1
> system?
>
> there are no redhat 7.1 rpms for postgresql 7.2 or 7.3. the 7.3 rpms
> require a newer version of openssl, and that wants to drag in all kinds of
> stuff.
>
> it's an operational box, i am reluctant to take too many risks, but
> there's nothing operational dependent on postgresql right now, so i can
> take some risks there. anyone got a method that works?
>
> note that when i eventually upgrade the redhat installation on this box, i
> would like to go back to rpm installs if i have to get away from that now.
>
> thanks,
>   richard
> --
> Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net
> Averill Park Networking                                         518-573-7592
>               Unix, Linux, IP Network Engineering, Security

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: redhat 7.1 upgrade

From
Richard Welty
Date:
On 30 Mar 2003 23:47:51 +0000 "Daniel R. Anderson" <dan@mathjunkies.com> wrote:

> Basically you just use pg_dumpall as the database superuser.  (See the
> manual).

ok, i guess i didn't make myself clear.

it's not the mechanics of changing from one version of postgresql to
another.

it's the twisty maze of passages due to rpm dependencies. i'm wondering if
anyone has upgraded from postgresql 7.1 to 7.2 or 7.3 on a redhat 7.1
system and can address the rpm dependencies (or else will recommend just
building from source.)

the big hitch with a straightforward rpm upgrade seems to be the
libcrypto.so and libssl.so dependencies. it's possible that there's an
easy fix, but i don't have any non-production redhat 7.1 boxes around to
test on, and am not in a position to build a 7.1 box just to try it out.
if someone has already jumped off this bridge and knows what to do, i'd
just kind of appreciate hearing about it.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net

Re: redhat 7.1 upgrade

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 07:51:56PM -0500, Richard Welty wrote:

> it's the twisty maze of passages due to rpm dependencies. i'm wondering if
> anyone has upgraded from postgresql 7.1 to 7.2 or 7.3 on a redhat 7.1
> system and can address the rpm dependencies (or else will recommend just
> building from source.)

Just build the RPMs from source.  It's easy and will get you there fast.

"La naturaleza, tan fragil, tan expuesta a la muerte... y tan viva"

Re: redhat 7.1 upgrade

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
On Sunday 30 March 2003 19:51, Richard Welty wrote:
> it's the twisty maze of passages due to rpm dependencies. i'm wondering if
> anyone has upgraded from postgresql 7.1 to 7.2 or 7.3 on a redhat 7.1
> system and can address the rpm dependencies (or else will recommend just
> building from source.)

While you really need to upgrade to at least Red Hat 7.3 (7.1 is totally
unsupported from a Red Hat standpoint), you can rebuild from the source RPM
fairly easily with 'rpmbuild --rebuild postgresql-7.3.2-1PGDG.src.rpm'

You will need to do this as root, unless you want to go through the mechanics
of setting up a normal user RPM build environment.

Once done, the binary rpm's will be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

If you have errors, let me know (via this list or the pgsql-ports lists --
which is the preferred list, by the way).
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: redhat 7.1 upgrade

From
Richard Welty
Date:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 11:00:30 -0500 Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> wrote:
> While you really need to upgrade to at least Red Hat 7.3 (7.1 is totally
> unsupported from a Red Hat standpoint), you can rebuild from the source
> RPM
> fairly easily with 'rpmbuild --rebuild postgresql-7.3.2-1PGDG.src.rpm'

> You will need to do this as root, unless you want to go through the
> mechanics
> of setting up a normal user RPM build environment.

> Once done, the binary rpm's will be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386

> If you have errors, let me know (via this list or the pgsql-ports lists
> --
> which is the preferred list, by the way).

thanks, that was almost good advice (and probably the best i was going to
get.)

i'm replying here because i'm not on psql-ports.

the only hitch was that libpq updates from libpq.so.2 to libpq.so.3, and
lots of stuff broke on that. i'm still tracking it all down, but perl's
DBD::Pg and my exim MTA w/postgresql support both went (i'm rebuilding exim
right now, and won't be receiving any list mail until i finish reinstalling
it.)

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net