Python Error

From
"Daniel R. Anderson"
Date:
Hi,

I juts tried to load the python module instead of using c as a way to
program an interface with the client.  I went into python and typed:

 >>> import pg

and I got:

/usr/libexec/ld.so: python: libpq-so.3.0: No such file or directory.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

-Dan

Re: Python Error

From
"Tamir Halperin"
Date:
sounds like you're missing a symlink. I don't know enough to fix the problem but a symlink fixed a similar problem for
mepertaining to the same file.

In my case it was because I didn't install crypto but was trying to work with pgsql and ssl.

Re: Python Error

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Thursday 27 March 2003 01:06 pm, Tamir Halperin wrote:
> sounds like you're missing a symlink. I don't know enough to fix the
> problem but a symlink fixed a similar problem for me pertaining to the same
> file.
>
> In my case it was because I didn't install crypto but was trying to work
> with pgsql and ssl.

It's also possible that you don't have the postgresql development package
installed, although normally you couldn't build or install PyGreSQL without
those development libraries.

Regards,
    Jeff

Re: Python Error

From
"Daniel R. Anderson"
Date:
Can you be more specific about the "postgresql development package"?
 Just to make sure I got everything I downloaded postgresql, base, opts,
test, docs, and whatever else was in the ftp dir.  Do I need to do a
seperate ./configure && make?

Thanks,

-Dan

Jeff Davis wrote:

>On Thursday 27 March 2003 01:06 pm, Tamir Halperin wrote:
>

>>sounds like you're missing a symlink. I don't know enough to fix the
>>problem but a symlink fixed a similar problem for me pertaining to the same
>>file.
>>
>>In my case it was because I didn't install crypto but was trying to work
>>with pgsql and ssl.
>>

>It's also possible that you don't have the postgresql development package
>installed, although normally you couldn't build or install PyGreSQL without
>those development libraries.
>
>Regards,
>    Jeff

>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: Python Error

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 03:49:34PM -0500, Daniel R. Anderson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I juts tried to load the python module instead of using c as a way to
> program an interface with the client.  I went into python and typed:

> and I got:
>
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: python: libpq-so.3.0: No such file or directory.

Do you have that file or anything like it? I have libpq.so.2.0. Note that if
you only have libpq.so you may need to run ldconfig (on linux anyway) to get
the symlinks created. If it's still not there, you probably don't have the
library at all.

> "the West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or
> religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence.
> Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
>   - Samuel P. Huntington

Attachment

Re: Python Error

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Thursday 27 March 2003 02:09 pm, Daniel R. Anderson wrote:
> Can you be more specific about the "postgresql development package"?
>  Just to make sure I got everything I downloaded postgresql, base, opts,
> test, docs, and whatever else was in the ftp dir.  Do I need to do a
> seperate ./configure && make?

I just noticed something form your original email:
your computer is looking for the filename: libpq-so.3.0
my computer has the filename: libpq.so.3.0

Something is definately wrong there. Could you list the version numbers of
postgresql and python that you're using?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis