Reverse engineering PG database

From
paul.rosenberg@usa.net (Paul Rosenberg)
Date:
We are looking for a DB design program which can reverse engineer a PG
database. We want to use this to create revised documentation for the
database after changes are made. PG outputs a creation SQL script
which uses triggers to define foreign keys and this seems to be
unusual and has caused a problem with one software.

Re: Reverse engineering PG database

From
Dennis Gearon
Try the company:

    http://www.datanamic.com/

Paul Rosenberg wrote:
> We are looking for a DB design program which can reverse engineer a PG
> database. We want to use this to create revised documentation for the
> database after changes are made. PG outputs a creation SQL script
> which uses triggers to define foreign keys and this seems to be
> unusual and has caused a problem with one software.

Re: Reverse engineering PG database

From
Ken Guest
Date:
Dennis Gearon wrote:

> Try the company:
>
>     http://www.datanamic.com/

I don't see any mention of Postgres there...

--
Ken Guest
Senior Developer

Date:
Dennis Gearon wrote:

> Try the company:
>
>     http://www.datanamic.com/

Apologies - I must be blind :)

--
Ken Guest
Senior Developer
Stockbyte Royalty Free Photos
http://www.stockbyte.com

Re: Reverse engineering PG database

From
Flower Sun
Date:
1. Dezign from http://www.datanamic.com/  $149
-- My evaluation result: It's not good to use at all.

2. ER diagrammer from http://www.keeptool.com/en/products.html  $210
-- Oracle only.

3. Case Studio 2 from http://www.casestudio.com/enu/  $329
-- My evaluation result: The ER diagram picture is not nice. And not good at use. They even don't provide full functional version at trial days.

4. ER/Studio from http://www.embarcadero.com/products/erstudio/index.asp  pricing information is not posted on web.

5. QDesigner from quest around 700$
Good to use with Postgresql as well as other RDBMS.

6. AllFusion Erwin Data Modeler from Computer associate
Good to use with Postgresql as well as other RDBMS.

   Dennis Gearon <gearond@cvc.net> wrote:
Try the company:

http://www.datanamic.com/

Paul Rosenberg wrote:
> We are looking for a DB design program which can reverse engineer a PG
> database. We want to use this to create revised documentation for the
> database after changes are made. PG outputs a creation SQL script
> which uses triggers to define foreign keys and this seems to be
> unusual and has caused a problem with one software.

> (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

http://archives.postgresql.org

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: Reverse engineering PG database

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 18:29, Paul Rosenberg wrote:
> We are looking for a DB design program which can reverse engineer a PG
> database. We want to use this to create revised documentation for the
> database after changes are made. PG outputs a creation SQL script
> which uses triggers to define foreign keys and this seems to be
> unusual and has caused a problem with one software.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for:

http://www.rbt.ca/autodoc/index.shtml

Or did I misunderstand you?

Cheers,

Neil

Re: Reverse engineering PG database

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
I am part of the beta test program, the next version will do those.

Date: