trigger question.

From
alain.bruneau@acoss.fr
Date:
Hi.
Has anyone migrated from Oracle to Postgresql there ?

I have a problem with trigger. I don't find a way to disable it.
Oracle statement :
ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  ENABLE
or
ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  DISABLE
I am looking for a way to do the same thing with postgresql.

I want to disable trigger before COPY and enable it after.
How can I do that?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Alain.

Re: trigger question.

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On Tuesday 25 Mar 2003 9:31 pm, alain.bruneau@acoss.fr wrote:
> I have a problem with trigger. I don't find a way to disable it.
> Oracle statement :
> ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  ENABLE
> or
> ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  DISABLE
> I am looking for a way to do the same thing with postgresql.
>
> I want to disable trigger before COPY and enable it after.
> How can I do that?

Drop and recreate respectively.

HTH

 Shridhar

Re: trigger question.

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
As a follow up, I would read the  trigger into a file first, so that you can
restore it. Also, watch single quotes and the semicolon at the end of the
trigger definition. It may not show up correctly in the structure readout of the
  trigger.

And, you don't need to drop the functions that the trigger references, just the
trigger.

Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 Mar 2003 9:31 pm, alain.bruneau@acoss.fr wrote:
>
>>I have a problem with trigger. I don't find a way to disable it.
>>Oracle statement :
>>ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  ENABLE
>>or
>>ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  DISABLE
>>I am looking for a way to do the same thing with postgresql.
>>
>>I want to disable trigger before COPY and enable it after.
>>How can I do that?
>

> Drop and recreate respectively.
>
> HTH
>
>  Shridhar

Re: trigger question.

From
Jean-Luc Lachance
Date:
Have you looked at the output of "pg_dump -at" lately?

JL

Dennis Gearon wrote:

> As a follow up, I would read the  trigger into a file first, so that you can
> restore it. Also, watch single quotes and the semicolon at the end of the
> trigger definition. It may not show up correctly in the structure readout of the
>   trigger.
>
> And, you don't need to drop the functions that the trigger references, just the
> trigger.
>
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 Mar 2003 9:31 pm, alain.bruneau@acoss.fr wrote:
> >
> >>I have a problem with trigger. I don't find a way to disable it.
> >>Oracle statement :
> >>ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  ENABLE
> >>or
> >>ALTER TRIGGER "TRG_DT_ACTI"  DISABLE
> >>I am looking for a way to do the same thing with postgresql.
> >>
> >>I want to disable trigger before COPY and enable it after.
> >>How can I do that?
> >

> > Drop and recreate respectively.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> >  Shridhar

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: trigger question.

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
I don't manage my database directly too much, just when needed. phpPgAdmin is
what I use, and it has the problem I described below. perhaps that is happening
in that library, and not at the postgres side of the exchange. As I get more
into this, and someday have my own box on the web, I will be doing more directly
manipulation of the database, from an admin POV as well.

Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:
> Have you looked at the output of "pg_dump -at" lately?
>
> JL
>
> Dennis Gearon wrote:
>
>>As a follow up, I would read the  trigger into a file first, so that you can
>>restore it. Also, watch single quotes and the semicolon at the end of the
>>trigger definition. It may not show up correctly in the structure readout of the
>>  trigger.
>>
>>And, you don't need to drop the functions that the trigger references, just the
>>trigger.
>>
>>Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

>>>Drop and recreate respectively.
>>>
>>>HTH
>>>
>>> Shridhar
>>>

>>>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
>>>TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

>>TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

Re: trigger question.

From
"shreedhar"
Date:
You can drop and create triggers with the following commands.

 DROP TRIGGER TriggerName ON TableName;
CREATE TRIGGER TriggerName AFTER/BEFORE  INSERT/DELETE/UPDATE ON TableName
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE ProcedureName;

Sreedhar