Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence

From
"Anand B Kumar"
Date:
Dear Sirs,

We are working on Postgresql for one of our on going project.  We have come across a situation as mentioned below.

1. We have to create a table with sequence dynamically from the front end ( through a JSP code)
2. An option for the user is given to change the name of the table in the front end.  During this process, we change the name of the table and its relative sequence too.  But the table which was first created with a sequence has its property written in its property field.  Now if we change that property in that field, will the sequence gets disturbed??

For say, I create a table 'addrtech'  which has two fields, empid and empname
2. The emp id has a sequence created dynamically. so a sequence name   addrtech_empid_seq  is created.
3. The field empid  in addrtech has in its DEFAULT column as nextval('"addrtech_empid_seq"'::text) "
4. Now I rename addrtech to addrtechnology
5.  So the table is altered
6. The sequence is also altered as addrtechnology_empid_seq and the new table is addrtechnology

But the doubt now is the field which has the sequence i.e the empid which has nextval('"addrtech_empid_seq"'::text) .  The property if changed to  nextval('"addrtechnology_empid_seq"'::text) will the seqeunce remain the same.  Meaning if it had some few million records in the orginial table addrtech and if additional data is entere to addrtechnology will the sequence continue.

Please clarify this query of mine at the earliest so that we can incorporate the same in our codes

Your early reply is solicitated

regards
Andy

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

Re: Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 08:08:59PM +0530, Anand B Kumar wrote:
> Dear Sirs,
>
> We are working on Postgresql for one of our on going project.  We have come across a situation as mentioned below.
>
> 1. We have to create a table with sequence dynamically from the front end ( through a JSP code)
> 2. An option for the user is given to change the name of the table in the front end.  During this process, we change
thename of the table and its relative sequence too.  But the table which was first created with a sequence has its
propertywritten in its property field.  Now if we change that property in that field, will the sequence gets
disturbed??

> For say, I create a table 'addrtech'  which has two fields, empid and empname
> 2. The emp id has a sequence created dynamically. so a sequence name   addrtech_empid_seq  is created.
> 3. The field empid  in addrtech has in its DEFAULT column as " nextval('"addrtech_empid_seq"'::text) "
> 4. Now I rename addrtech to addrtechnology
> 5.  So the table is altered
> 6. The sequence is also altered as addrtechnology_empid_seq and the new table is addrtechnology
>
> But the doubt now is the field which has the sequence i.e the empid which has nextval('"addrtech_empid_seq"'::text) .
The property if changed to  nextval('"addrtechnology_empid_seq"'::text) will the seqeunce remain the same.  Meaning if
ithad some few million records in the orginial table addrtech and if additional data is entere to addrtechnology will
thesequence continue.

> Please clarify this query of mine at the earliest so that we can incorporate the same in our codes

The database won't update the default for you, you'll have to do that
yourself with ALTER TABLE SET DEFAULT.

> IT is not something like pizza that you order in at one o'clock in
> the morning. - John Loebenstein, St George CIO

Re: Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
Please reply to the list, not just me. On the list many people can answer
your question.

If you rename a sequence it doesn't affect any other property (including
where it is upto). Surely you could have tried this out and seen how it
works?

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 12:33:59PM +0530, Anand B Kumar wrote:
> Martijn
>
> Thanx for your reply.  But my question was to know, whether the sequence
> would be maintained if we rename the sequence to a new name!!  We are
> equally aware of the alter command, but let us know about the continuity of
> the sequence

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
From what I can see the sequence name is not changed when you rename a
table

test=# alter table fooseq rename to fooseq1;
ALTER TABLE
test=# \d fooseq1
                          Table "public.fooseq1"
 Column |  Type   |                       Modifiers
--------+---------+--------------------------------------------------------
 id     | integer | not null default
nextval('public.fooseq_id_seq'::text)

so everything should work as expected.

Dave

--
Dave Cramer <dave@fastcrypt.com>
Cramer Consulting

Re: [HACKERS] Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence

From
"Anand B Kumar"
Date:
Dear Dave,

Thanx a lot for your help.  But still, the doubt lies, whether we can change
the property of a table which has bulk recods on it!!!  Does pgsql support
that??  Even though u alter the name of the sequence, we need to change the
sequence name ( meaning the property in the default field) in the altered
table also, which should now point to the new altered sequence.

Please advice
thanx
Andy