Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Anand B Kumar
Subject Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence
Date
Re: Please clarify with regard to Renaming a Sequence  (Dave Cramer <dave@fastcrypt.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Dear Sirs,

We are working on Postgresql for one of our on going project.  We have come across a situation as mentioned below.

1. We have to create a table with sequence dynamically from the front end ( through a JSP code)
2. An option for the user is given to change the name of the table in the front end.  During this process, we change the name of the table and its relative sequence too.  But the table which was first created with a sequence has its property written in its property field.  Now if we change that property in that field, will the sequence gets disturbed??

For say, I create a table 'addrtech'  which has two fields, empid and empname
2. The emp id has a sequence created dynamically. so a sequence name   addrtech_empid_seq  is created.
3. The field empid  in addrtech has in its DEFAULT column as nextval('"addrtech_empid_seq"'::text) "
4. Now I rename addrtech to addrtechnology
5.  So the table is altered
6. The sequence is also altered as addrtechnology_empid_seq and the new table is addrtechnology

But the doubt now is the field which has the sequence i.e the empid which has nextval('"addrtech_empid_seq"'::text) .  The property if changed to  nextval('"addrtechnology_empid_seq"'::text) will the seqeunce remain the same.  Meaning if it had some few million records in the orginial table addrtech and if additional data is entere to addrtechnology will the sequence continue.

Please clarify this query of mine at the earliest so that we can incorporate the same in our codes

Your early reply is solicitated

regards
Andy

Upgrade Your Email - Click here!