Replacing rpm installation with tarball

From
Rich Shepard
Date:
  I cannot upgrade the existing 7.2.1 installation with the 7.3.2 rpms that
Lamar put together. He's looking at the error message to see if it gives him
any idea of what went wrong.

  While I'm running RH 7.3 here, I thing the most expiditious solution is to
build from source and install over the current binaries. Is there anything
of which I need to be aware before doing this?

TIA,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Replacing rpm installation with tarball

From
Hadley Willan
Date:
Hello,
    You cannot upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3. There are a number of reasons and
therefore the safest course of action is to pg_dump the 7.2 database and
then uninstall 7.2. Then install your 7.3.x release. I believe you
should be aiming for at least 7.3.2.

As quoted from an older email about 7.3 the initial 7.3 release.
<QUOTE>
"There are significant changes in this RPM from previous releases.  Most
significantly there is experimental support for multiple postmasters,
courtesy Karl DeBisschop.  Next most significantly, upgrading the server
subpackage from a previous major version IS NOT SUPPORTED.  AT ALL.  If
an
rpm -U works for you without you going through odd RPM measures for
postgresql-server-7.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm, then I've made an error somewhere,
because the upgrade lock worked here :-).

Upgrading must be done by dumping the old database out, rpm -e the old
server
subpackage, install the new server subpackage, start the new postmaster
(initdb is automatic on first start when using the supplied initscript),
and
restore your data.  Upgrading the remainder of the subpackages IS
supported
-- you may upgrade everything but the server subpackage, migrate your
data,
and do the dump/restore dance."
</QUOTE>

To build 7.3.x from src you'll want a wide range on libraries. Often
discover they are missing a devel library or two. There is a common one,
that I too was missing, but it's been a while and I've forgotten which
one it was. If anyone else can remember...?

Other than that. Good luck.

Regards Hadley.

--
Hadley Willan > Systems Development > Deeper Design Limited. +64(7)377-3328
hadley.willan@deeperdesign.co.nz > www.deeperdesign.com > +64(21)-28-41-463

Date:
On 8 Mar 2003, Hadley Willan wrote:

>     You cannot upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3. There are a number of reasons and
> therefore the safest course of action is to pg_dump the 7.2 database and
> then uninstall 7.2. Then install your 7.3.x release. I believe you
> should be aiming for at least 7.3.2.

  Ah, yes! I recall reading something of this.

  Well, tomorrow I'll finish getting rid of all the old postgres and
installing the new rpms (I think they will).

Many thanks, Hadley,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Replacing rpm installation with tarball

From
Richard Welty
Date:
On 08 Mar 2003 14:50:08 +1300 Hadley Willan <hadley.willan@deeperdesign.co.nz> wrote:
>  If
> an
> rpm -U works for you without you going through odd RPM measures for
> postgresql-server-7.3-1PGDG.i386.rpm, then I've made an error somewhere,
> because the upgrade lock worked here :-).

interesting. i just upgraded postgresql on a rh 8.0 system from rpms, using
the -Fvh options, without it complaining or locking up.

yes, i did have to reinitialize the database, but i was expecting that.

only hitch was a change in the name of the package supplying perl
integration. i did have to do an erase and new install for that one.

richard
--
Richard Welty                                         rwelty@averillpark.net

Date:
On 8 Mar 2003, Hadley Willan wrote:

>     You cannot upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3. There are a number of reasons and
> therefore the safest course of action is to pg_dump the 7.2 database and
> then uninstall 7.2. Then install your 7.3.x release. I believe you
> should be aiming for at least 7.3.2.

Hadley,

  I ripped out the 7.2.1 installation (wiring and all) and built 7.3.2 from
source. It's now happily ensconced in the proper directories. All I need do
is get the right file into /etc/rc.d/init.d/ so the postmaster will fire up
again on reboot.

  Which brings me to ask: Where are the pdf docs for 7.3.2? I go to the Web
site and follow the download -> docs -> current links to find docs for 7.2,
not 7.3. Are they hidden away somewhere?

Date:
On 9 Mar 2003, Hadley Willan wrote:

> Per an earlier announcement from Lamar Owen

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql, and find the line that says:
> if [ `cat $PGDATA/PG_VERSION` != '7.2' ]

  This is not in the file supplied by the source tarball.

> You're right though, there are no pdf docs linked off the website for
> 7.3.  I've never noticed because I always used the html idocs download.

  I don't care for using a BUI (Browser User Interface) unless I'm looking
for something on the Web. I much prefer pdf or ps files I can view on-screen
or print. I find it much more convenient to take printed docs to the sofa in
the den, or into bed, and read there. I spend enough hours each day sitting
in front of the monitor.

> I've attached the tar.gz version of the idocs7.3 for "offline" use if
> you wish. It may be a little out of date, but couldn't seem to find this
> tarball up on the website?

  Thanks again.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Replacing rpm installation with tarball

From
Dennis Gearon
Date:
so how do you view *.ps files?

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On 9 Mar 2003, Hadley Willan wrote:
>
> > Per an earlier announcement from Lamar Owen
>
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql, and find the line that says:
> > if [ `cat $PGDATA/PG_VERSION` != '7.2' ]
>
>   This is not in the file supplied by the source tarball.
>
> > You're right though, there are no pdf docs linked off the website for
> > 7.3.  I've never noticed because I always used the html idocs download.
>
>   I don't care for using a BUI (Browser User Interface) unless I'm looking
> for something on the Web. I much prefer pdf or ps files I can view on-screen
> or print. I find it much more convenient to take printed docs to the sofa in
> the den, or into bed, and read there. I spend enough hours each day sitting
> in front of the monitor.
>
> > I've attached the tar.gz version of the idocs7.3 for "offline" use if
> > you wish. It may be a little out of date, but couldn't seem to find this
> > tarball up on the website?
>
>   Thanks again.
>
> Rich
>
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
>
>                        Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
>             2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale, OR 97060-1247 | U.S.A.
>  + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
>                          http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

Re: Replacing rpm installation with tarball

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Sun, 2003-03-09 at 18:58, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> so how do you view *.ps files?

gv or ghostscript

but they are mainly intended to be printed.

     "And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so
      that in all things at all times, having all that you
      need, you will abound in every good work."
                                  II Corinthians 9:8