How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?

From
P G
Date:
I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
system.  Does anyone have or know where I can find
instructions on how to do either of those options?
This apparently is not a simple upgrade, because the
Cobalt XTR relies on PostgreSQL to support some of its
functionality and I simply cannot just remove the
database and install the new one expecting the rest of
the system to function correctly.  There is at least
one Cobalt process called swatch that I know of that
relies on libpq.so.2.1 which PostgreSQL 7.3.1 upgrades
to libpq.so.3.0 and swatch does not want to use.

TIA.

http://shopping.yahoo.com

Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt

From
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Date:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, P G wrote:

> I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
> and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
> or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
> system.  Does anyone have or know where I can find
> instructions on how to do either of those options?
> This apparently is not a simple upgrade, because the
> Cobalt XTR relies on PostgreSQL to support some of its
> functionality and I simply cannot just remove the
> database and install the new one expecting the rest of
> the system to function correctly.  There is at least
> one Cobalt process called swatch that I know of that
> relies on libpq.so.2.1 which PostgreSQL 7.3.1 upgrades
> to libpq.so.3.0 and swatch does not want to use.

Do it the same way you'd install any new software. Err...okay so do how I'd
install software, i.e. forget about any fancy packaging systems used. Fetch the
source tarball extract it, configure it specifying a --prefix for the root of
where you want it installed, /usr/local/opt/pgsql-731 for example, make, make
check and make install.

This of course supposes that your system has sufficient of a development system
on to do this. At least one of the two I've recently got my hands on does, as
long as I disable the readline support.

I wouldn't bother to try and install readline if it's a Redhat installation,
I'm still trying to work out how install rpmfind to do things like that when
rpmfind isn't already installed and half a dozen packages it depends on are not
installed either. But then I've probably been spoiled by a) knowing how to do
things without fancy packaging systems and b) using Debian normally.

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 11:10:30AM -0800, P G wrote:
> system.  Does anyone have or know where I can find
> instructions on how to do either of those options?

Why not just compile an extra PostgreSQL, and put it in its own path?

./configure --prefix=/other/path/to/new/pgsql

ought to work.  The only thing you should need is the right
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get the libraries for psql, &c., at runtime.  You
can write a little file which sets up the environment for each, if
you need them both.  Then just source the appropriate file when you
want to use the relevant version of PostgreSQL.

I have a little doc we use internally about installing PostgreSQL
without root; I suppose I could alter it for general use if it would
be helpful to people.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 11:10:30AM -0800, P G wrote:
<snip>
> I have a little doc we use internally about installing PostgreSQL
> without root; I suppose I could alter it for general use if it would
> be helpful to people.

Yep, that sounds like it might be useful for people on the Techdocs site.

Want to add it to the Techdocs "Guides" area now that it's up and
running again?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift