Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nigel J. Andrews
Subject Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, P G wrote:

> I have a Cobalt XTR system that uses PostgreSQL 7.0.2
> and I would like to either upgrade to PostgreSQL 7.3.1
> or install PostgreSQL 7.3.1 to co-exist on the same
> system.  Does anyone have or know where I can find
> instructions on how to do either of those options?
> This apparently is not a simple upgrade, because the
> Cobalt XTR relies on PostgreSQL to support some of its
> functionality and I simply cannot just remove the
> database and install the new one expecting the rest of
> the system to function correctly.  There is at least
> one Cobalt process called swatch that I know of that
> relies on libpq.so.2.1 which PostgreSQL 7.3.1 upgrades
> to libpq.so.3.0 and swatch does not want to use.

Do it the same way you'd install any new software. Err...okay so do how I'd
install software, i.e. forget about any fancy packaging systems used. Fetch the
source tarball extract it, configure it specifying a --prefix for the root of
where you want it installed, /usr/local/opt/pgsql-731 for example, make, make
check and make install.

This of course supposes that your system has sufficient of a development system
on to do this. At least one of the two I've recently got my hands on does, as
long as I disable the readline support.

I wouldn't bother to try and install readline if it's a Redhat installation,
I'm still trying to work out how install rpmfind to do things like that when
rpmfind isn't already installed and half a dozen packages it depends on are not
installed either. But then I've probably been spoiled by a) knowing how to do
things without fancy packaging systems and b) using Debian normally.

--
Nigel J. Andrews