Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: How do I upgrade or coexist PostgreSQL on a Cobalt XTR system?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 11:10:30AM -0800, P G wrote:
> system.  Does anyone have or know where I can find
> instructions on how to do either of those options?

Why not just compile an extra PostgreSQL, and put it in its own path?

./configure --prefix=/other/path/to/new/pgsql

ought to work.  The only thing you should need is the right
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to get the libraries for psql, &c., at runtime.  You
can write a little file which sets up the environment for each, if
you need them both.  Then just source the appropriate file when you
want to use the relevant version of PostgreSQL.

I have a little doc we use internally about installing PostgreSQL
without root; I suppose I could alter it for general use if it would
be helpful to people.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110