out parameters ( oracle 2 pg )

From
Fred
Date:
Hi,

I am trying to convert some oracle stored procedures
to plpgsql.
One pb as many others encoutered, is that pgsql functions
do not accept out parameters, neither multiple values within
one return.
Searching the list, I found 2 interesting posts :
- one from Joshua Jore that uses "setof" but this seems not to
  work with pgsql, just sql
  -> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2002-03/msg00046.php

- another workaround from Art Nicewick that I tried successfully,
  but what about the performances ...
  -> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2002-03/msg00166.php

To summerize : are there any new helpful implemented functions,
enhancements in pg or better workarounds (what about Art's one ?) ?

Fred

warning : I'm a newbie in db... :)

Attachment

Re: out parameters ( oracle 2 pg )

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wed, 2002-11-06 at 01:33, Fred wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to convert some oracle stored procedures
> to plpgsql.
> One pb as many others encoutered, is that pgsql functions
> do not accept out parameters, neither multiple values within
> one return.
> Searching the list, I found 2 interesting posts :
> - one from Joshua Jore that uses "setof" but this seems not to
>   work with pgsql, just sql
>   -> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-novice/2002-03/msg00046.php
>
> - another workaround from Art Nicewick that I tried successfully,
>   but what about the performances ...
>   -> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2002-03/msg00166.php
>
> To summerize : are there any new helpful implemented functions,
> enhancements in pg or better workarounds (what about Art's one ?) ?

functions have been greatly enhanced to make returning sets of data
(multiple row/column) much easier in 7.3  You can download beta4 today
and test it out; RC1 is expected within the next week and final should
be out before thanksgiving.

Robert Treat